Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Can the timing cover be reused? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/can-timing-cover-reused-70132/)

Klturi421 04-20-2012 10:53 PM

Can the timing cover be reused?

I have not yet removed my timing cover as I fear that I cannot find one locally to pop back on.

The front of the cover says to replace once removed (using a loose term). Im curious, could it in fact be reused or is it best to try and find a new one and replace it then?

neo71665 04-20-2012 11:50 PM

If its plastic personally I use a new one. If its metal you can get away only swapping the seal. I know of people that reuse them but I wouldn't chance it. They are covered, not easy to get to, and plastic gets brittle under heat and age.

Ya might be lucky and a metal one fits it. Gotta count the bolt holes and make sure. I know there were different versions depending on where the engine was made.

Jase1979 04-21-2012 12:50 AM

Dorman products sells them for under $40 safer to replace it for that price

Captain Hook 04-21-2012 08:23 AM

GM "dealer issue" factory shop manual says if the cover is removed DO NOT reuse it. The crankshaft position sensor relearn MUST be performed if the timing cover and or crankshaft position sensor is moved, removed, disturbed or replaced. Code readers are not capable of performing the relearn, it must be done with a capable scan tool.

NVANZEE 04-21-2012 03:27 PM

Just replace in. they dont cost much at all. It might be ok to reuse it buy why take the risk.

dano440 04-21-2012 04:50 PM

is it possible to change them with out removing or loosing the oil pan? I have been thinking I should replace my timing chain and gears but have been putting it off.

Klturi421 04-21-2012 05:17 PM

That's actually what I am trying to figure out myself. I was able to successfully remove the cover without removing or even unbolting the oil pan, I am however having difficulty with the installation process.

Either this evening or tomorrow I am probably going to drop the pan a little and stick it on. It doesn't seem like it has to come completely off, just unbolted enough to slip the cover on.

dano440 04-21-2012 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Klturi421 (Post 515456)
That's actually what I am trying to figure out myself. I was able to successfully remove the cover without removing or even unbolting the oil pan, I am however having difficulty with the installation process.

Either this evening or tomorrow I am probably going to drop the pan a little and stick it on. It doesn't seem like it has to come completely off, just unbolted enough to slip the cover on.

let us know how that works out. I might try mine later on in June

Jase1979 04-21-2012 08:18 PM

I have replaced at least 50 of these timing covers on 2wd and 4wd. It is possible to change it without removing the oil pan, BUT very difficult to get the cover in and aligned properly, What I do is remove 2 oil pan bolts 1 on each side in the center of the oil pan,. Then I use a longer bolt and start it in them 2 spots. Next remove the rest of the oil pan bolts and let the oil pan rest on the longer bolts remove and replace cover, reinstall oil pan. Should also mention that you have trans lines and oil cooler lines bolted to the pan that also need to be unbolted to lower the pan