2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Can't push to connect oil cooler lines

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 06:45 PM
Beginning Member
jaatecart is on a distinguished road
Default Can't push to connect oil cooler lines

Hi all,

I am in desperate need of help. I'm in the process of swapping out all A/C components today, and after a mostly flawless condenser installation, I can't for the life of me get the transmission cooler lines back onto the radiator. Specifically, the lower line just. absolutely. refuses. to go back into place. The upper line clipped in without issue. I'm using new retainer clips, of the correct size, and they were snapped in place correctly (I'm familiar with this process as I've already changed the engine oil lines before). Any advice to offer here? I just can't get enough leverage to push the lower line in, coupled with the fact that it bends ever so slightly at an angle to the radiator, so I'm fighting that as well. What is a guy to do?

Old 06-29-2018, 07:54 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jaatecart
Hi all,

I am in desperate need of help. I'm in the process of swapping out all A/C components today, and after a mostly flawless condenser installation, I can't for the life of me get the transmission cooler lines back onto the radiator. Specifically, the lower line just. absolutely. refuses. to go back into place. The upper line clipped in without issue. I'm using new retainer clips, of the correct size, and they were snapped in place correctly (I'm familiar with this process as I've already changed the engine oil lines before). Any advice to offer here? I just can't get enough leverage to push the lower line in, coupled with the fact that it bends ever so slightly at an angle to the radiator, so I'm fighting that as well. What is a guy to do?
Not trying to be a smarta** but straighten out the line and figure out how to get more leverage if you are sure that is the issue. IIRC I used a pair of pliers to grip the line in it's back jaws and had to wiggle and twist while putting pressure on the line until it popped in. Sometimes just walking away for a while makes things go better too! Good luck and best wishes!

Old 06-29-2018, 11:09 AM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

I've always pushed the lines in and THEN popped the clip in. Then give them a little wiggle wile pushing them in again to make sure the clip seats, then give them a little tug to make sure the clip is holding on tight.

It can be very difficult to push the line in pass the clip if it's already installed into the fitting in my experience...

Old 06-29-2018, 11:21 AM
Beginning Member
jaatecart is on a distinguished road

I did straighten it out as best as I could, but since the lines are so long there's a lot of flex, they don't like to flex far enough to actually yield and bend. That said, I tried the "Put them in first then pop in the clip" method. I'm terrified of these lines popping out but they seem to be in place, I've tried jerking them out and they appear locked in. Thanks for the input guys! Will definitely report back if they pose any future issues.

That said, I'm thinking the issue may be the actual clips. They are the right size, part number, blue coated, etc. but to me it feels like the little bends in the clip that retain the line are too sharply bent if that makes sense, like they dig into the line as you try to push it in place. Further, the 3 little bent areas make the clip stand a little too proud of the connector to get the plastic retainer to snap over. All in all just an appalling system, if I were planning on keeping this thing for more than the next 6 months, I'd have a hydraulic shop fabricate new lines and screw in connectors so I never have to see them again!

Old 07-02-2018, 08:46 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I've had to put the clips in after the lines are in place.