2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Carbon Chunks Stuck in the Egr Valve

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 04:30 AM
95Blaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carbon Chunks Stuck in the Egr Valve

I have a 1995blazer and im wondering what the cause is from carbon chunks gettin stuck in the egr valve and sticking it open, whats makin the carbon chunks form? is there any way to stop it?

Old 01-12-2007, 04:50 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Carbon Chunks Stuck in the Egr Valve

not to drive it

Any engine running will make these deposits. There is not really much that can be done to change and/or stop it.

I am sure there are loads of details about how carbon like this forms. And I am sure that many of the technical members will offer input on this.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:58 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

A combination of oil and heat. I can only recommend changing the oil more frequently.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:45 AM
dashyman is an unknown quantity at this point

Had this same issue on my '95, all you can do is change the egr or you'll wind up with an inefficient mix, rough running and run the risk of fouling the cat and 2 o sensors

Old 01-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, you can clean your egr valve. If it is a really big problem, you can purchase an egr gasket that has a screen on the intake side. This screen may plug up from time to time if you are really having problems with carbon buildup, but it should save you from the problems associated with a stuck open egr valve.

When you have your egr valve off, get some pipe cleaners and clean out both of the passages that lead into the valve really well. You may want to get some carbon cleaner and spray it down into each of the openings to help loosen the builtup carbon. What happens most of the time is that the carbon builds up on the inside of the supply line. Once it gets to a certain stage, it will start to flake off and these flakes are what is clogging the egr valve. If you can clean off these flakes, you should be good for quite a while. If you do decide to clean out the passages, before you put the egr valve back on, start the engine to blow all of the junk out.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

I had some issues with mine when I first bought it, I got the gasket swartlkk is talking about and I haven't had an issue since.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:57 AM
im2ys4it is an unknown quantity at this point

Better change it. I had the same problem with a blazer I just bought. took off the intake and the exhaust port on passenger side was completely plugged...