2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cheap way to read Camshaft Retard

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 02:00 PM
telecaster is on a distinguished road

Now I can't even get the sob to connect. GRRRRRR!

Old 10-23-2015, 09:25 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by telecaster
Now I can't even get the sob to connect. GRRRRRR!
What is the message being given?

Old 10-23-2015, 09:50 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

I have Autoenginuity with the GM enhancement for my more serious work...but that runs off of my laptop and of course is tons more expensive then the BAFX along with the apps. My question is is it possible to use the BAFX with different apps on the same device? (note I have TorquePro currently installed on my tablet(which fits very nicely and snuggly in the in the dashboard over top of the speedo )) So can I have TorquePro and also add one of the other apps without any confliction problems? I would assume that both apps can't be running at the same time...but can I decide to use one app for it's features and then close that to use one of the other apps for its features?

Old 10-24-2015, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by rockp2
I have Autoenginuity with the GM enhancement for my more serious work...but that runs off of my laptop and of course is tons more expensive then the BAFX along with the apps. My question is is it possible to use the BAFX with different apps on the same device? (note I have TorquePro currently installed on my tablet(which fits very nicely and snuggly in the in the dashboard over top of the speedo )) So can I have TorquePro and also add one of the other apps without any confliction problems? I would assume that both apps can't be running at the same time...but can I decide to use one app for it's features and then close that to use one of the other apps for its features?
Absolutely you can do this. I switch back and forth with Torque Pro myself. Just have to make sure to exit the former app and not just close the screen.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:31 AM

Got it figured out, thank you. Now, I can't seem to figure out how to save the data logs. After I disconnect and try to view what I just did, it says "no profiles available". I have to be missing something here. Oh, one more thing, I must have a loose pin or something because it sometimes won't connect or disconnects itself. The message is something about IO java something. I'll try to write it down next time. Appreciate it.

Last edited by telecaster; 10-27-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:38 PM

I think
Originally Posted by telecaster
Got it figured out, thank you. Now, I can't seem to figure out how to save the data logs. After I disconnect and try to view what I just did, it says "no profiles available". I have to be missing something here. Oh, one more thing, I must have a loose pin or something because it sometimes won't connect or disconnects itself. The message is something about IO java something. I'll try to write it down next time. Appreciate it.
Isn't that message the same one you get when you try to connect when the BAFX is not plugged in or if you are simply not in range. If so your Android is not communicating with the BAFX through Bluetooth for some reason. If the BAFX has leds lit, then it has power from the car. I think you could contact the BAFX guy and he would send you out another one pronto. Wasn't you the guy on the Blazer forum that purchased a used one? Maybe not but if so maybe was a returned unit that was found work but now giving problems again. Just some ideas.

I have not tried to do data log files yet, but I bet you have to consciously give it a filename somewhere before you start to log anything. If you continue to have trouble with data logs, let me know and I will see if I can figure it out. I have done live PID graphing and I think that is very cool to watch how fast and far the voltage actually swings on O2 sensors.

Let me know! Good luck!

Les

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-27-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:09 PM

No sir, I bought a new one. It's only done that a couple of times so it could be something I am doing. I e-mailed the car gauge pro people to inquire about the data logging and his reply was, "Your device should be equipped with xls viewer. The files are stored in /car gauge pro/data log/gm/." I don't understand this myself. Is he trying to say that the information is stored in the phone and not the app? Am I lost here? I think that's very cool being able to graph things also,btw. Then again, who doesn't like new toys? Edit, just got this from him: "Go to data parameters, select multi-data view. A message will indicate a sheet has been created. Exit app to generate xls file." Sounds geek to me.....

Last edited by telecaster; 10-27-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:40 AM
Default Viewing Data Logs in Car Gauge Pro

"the files are stored in /car gauge pro/data log/gm/"

Sounds like he is initially telling you how and where to view data log files (using the xls spreadsheet viewer program that should be built into your Android). Just find the file in indicated directory using "My files" and click on it to view. (assuming you have "My Files" - I have it on more than one device). You cannot view the data log from within the app - needs external XLS spreadsheet viewer.

"Go to data parameters, select multi-data view. A message will indicate a sheet has been created. Exit app to generate xls file"

The second part is about how to actually generate the log file (which is automatically named with the Module, date, and a sequence number). I believe you need to select the PIDs that you want to log after selecting Multi-data-view in diagnostics and view them for the time you wish to log. Then exit and close the Car Gauge Pro program to generate the log file.

If this doesn't get you where you want, then let me know and the next time I hook up the scanner I will try it. But raining cats add dogs here today. I did check in that directory on mine and I have logs there that I could view, from when I was previously dinking around with Multi-data view in diagnostics. Look there, you may already have some data logs stored there for the same reason.

If your communication fails again, please note if the lights on the BAFX are lit up and/or blinking - and also please verify what the connection error mesage says.

Last edited by LesMyer; 10-28-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:40 AM

I will note the message the next time it happens. I did not have "my files" on my android. However, I downloaded a similar app (There's hundreds of them for free) and walah! There where data logs right there waiting on me. I can't wait to play with this thing some more! Thanks for the help,Les Myer.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:42 PM
DCR 1979 Z28 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Found inexpensive Android app ($8.95) that will read CMP Retard on my Blazer, using a BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 adapter clone (Amazon).

It's called Car Gauge Pro. A bit clunkier to use than Torque Pro, but it looks like it reads more PIDs. People tend to complain about the UI, but I don't see why. I bought it specifically to work on Ford/Nissan because of some advanced features it has there and found the GM enhanced PIDs to include the CMP retard as well (typically missing in the phone apps). I have verified that the CMP Retard PID works just fine.

Looks like it has capability to do ABS and a number of other systems as well (at least on something - maybe Ford only, maybe more - the system choices are there). Don't know how it works for that right now.

Pretty cool little Android app!
I just joined so I could get more information from you. I have been battling issues with my 1997 Suburban. With out going into all the gory details, and trust me they're gory, one of the problems has been P1345, so I need to replicate the gauges you showed on page one. I bought the software and BAFX OBD2 adapter, but I have not figured out how to get a gauge setup like you show could you walk us through how to set that up. Also how do you clear codes to turn off the CEL? Thanks, so much.

Quick Reply: Cheap way to read Camshaft Retard