Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Checking/adding Diff. fluid (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/checking-adding-diff-fluid-6971/)

magnum434 11-30-2006 12:17 PM

Checking/adding Diff. fluid

Is it as simple as pulling out the plug and the fluid should be up to the bottom of the hole?

Jigg 12-01-2006 04:20 PM

RE: Checking/adding Diff. fluid

Yes.

swartlkk 12-01-2006 04:44 PM

Yup, that's all it is. If there isn't, you can gauge how far down it is with a section of bent wire to act as a make-shift dip stick. This will at least keep you from running oil all over the place if you just go crazy topping it off.

magnum434 12-01-2006 05:05 PM

So is there not a drain plug on a 1996? That's what I think I'm hearing...and if there isn't..how do I drain it? I don't have any pump.

20Blazer00 12-01-2006 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: magnum434

So is there not a drain plug on a 1996? That's what I think I'm hearing...and if there isn't..how do I drain it? I don't have any pump.
From what I remember most GM diffs don't have a drain plug since fluids are supposed to be sealed they don't need replacing as frequently as motor oil, they also don't get as hot as engine oil so they don't break down. So any drain plug found in a cover may be an aftermarket cover.

So to completely drain a diff you have to loosen the cover bolts enough to break the gasket seal and woila instant drain...this design has worked for many decades...

swartlkk 12-01-2006 06:26 PM

Well, speaking of rear diffs, yeah, you have to pull the cover. I have never seen it, but word is that some of the IFS diffs didn't have a drain plug and to open the case on one of them would be a major PAIN...

user 1016 12-01-2006 10:41 PM

I always use my pinky...for checking anyways...the fluid should be up to your first knuckle when sticking your finger in the top

Jigg 12-01-2006 11:06 PM

From what I remember most GM diffs don't have a drain plug since fluids are supposed to be sealed they don't need replacing as frequently as motor oil, they also don't get as hot as engine oil so they don't break down. So any drain plug found in a cover may be an aftermarket cover.

So to completely drain a diff you have to loosen the cover bolts enough to break the gasket seal and woila instant drain...this design has worked for many decades...
Both of the diffs on my '00 have drain plugs.

swartlkk 12-01-2006 11:10 PM

The ZR2 is a different rear (8.625") than the rest of us have. It is possible that they also added a different cover to the rear axle.

Jigg 12-01-2006 11:25 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

The ZR2 is a different rear (8.625") than the rest of us have. It is possible that they also added a different cover to the rear axle.
Yeah, I know... the drain's actually in the casting, the drain is on the front of the diff, not on the cover.