2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Compiled List of Common Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010 | 11:39 AM
Starting Member
zkilla396 is on a distinguished road

You should add a fix for spare tire swing arm not un-latching. Don't know if others have had this problem, but all I did was put a slight bend in the bar connecting the handle to the latch mechanism (bar was too long to properly engage latch) - worked like a charm!

Old 12-14-2010 | 12:06 PM
mjw644allmand is on a distinguished road

The rear window latch repair is well documented on this forum...I did my wife's about 18-months ago.

First key to success is the manual release of the window latch from inside. On my wife's 02 there is a small access hole centered along the top of the carpeted portion of the tailgate door panel. Through that hole you can manually release the glass - then drop the tailgate to remove the panel.

Easy to replace the clip on the end of the latch release actuator once you get that far.

Old 12-14-2010 | 12:26 PM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

i like this list!!!!!!!!

Old 12-15-2011 | 08:57 PM
Starting Member
tls00blazer is on a distinguished road

I had a "knocking" noise that it thought was a bad shock mount. Replaced shocks and mounts were good. Replaced ball joints. Not it. New steering bushings. Nope. 2 years later we were driving on an unpaved road. I had popped the hood latch so that hood would shake open by the time we got back to cabin so I could check oil. Hood came open and when it did gf says "hey your noise went away!" Turns out hood wore thru rubber gasket near hinge and was knocking metal to metal. Found piece of foam held it there and shut hood on it. NO MORE NOISE!!!! forgot to check oil. Had to drive more bumpy roads to get hood open!!! Of course there are better ways to fix it but the foam kinda formed itself in place being pinched in there n all so ..why fix what ain't broke?!

Old 12-15-2011 | 11:28 PM
Beginning Member
rpeastep is on a distinguished road

I can't tell you how many skinned knuckles I got before I discovered that little spring squeezer tool for the door hinges. That is a job that needs not be put off though. I left mine too long once and after all the door slamming I actually cracked the metal door post and now it is even harder to close. Need to get the crack welded one of these days.

On the tailgate latch, my '97 didn't have an access hole but it does now. Took a small hole saw and made a custom one.

Old 01-01-2013 | 10:30 PM
DMD8193 is on a distinguished road

This list will definitely be put to use this weekend! Great job!

Old 01-02-2013 | 05:42 AM
Banned
chestypuller can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by rpeastep
I can't tell you how many skinned knuckles I got before I discovered that little spring squeezer tool for the door hinges. That is a job that needs not be put off though. I left mine too long once and after all the door slamming I actually cracked the metal door post and now it is even harder to close. Need to get the crack welded one of these days.

On the tailgate latch, my '97 didn't have an access hole but it does now. Took a small hole saw and made a custom one.

cracked the metal door post? can you post a picture of that? i think i have a similar situation.

Old 08-04-2013 | 08:54 PM
Beginning Member
Sparky8542 is on a distinguished road

There is some great info in here!

Old 08-09-2013 | 11:31 AM
Timbl is on a distinguished road

Also on the spark plug that is hard to get to, Slide the rubber boot on the steering rod down out of the way to gain better access. I did not know it slid and wasted a hour try ing to get past it.

Old 08-09-2013 | 02:21 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

This list is great. Especially to those like me who are new to Blazers, 4WD , and 4.3L V6's. Keep up the good work. It would help me a lot to have more photo's, diagrams, drawings, of the solution. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Compiled List of Common Fixes