2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Control arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 11:07 PM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road
Default Control arm bushings

Hey guys. I was noticing that my upper control arm bushings are beyond shot. The bottom ones are also not that great either. So I have the upper bushings, lower bushings, camber bolts, ball joints and torsion bar mounts. Does anyone know of any good videos or write ups on now to replace all these parts? My plan is to get some new control arms from the u pull and have the new bushings pressed in at a shop and then paint them. I figured while I have it apart I want to do the torsion cross member mounts as well because mine are knocking. I have the basic concept down but I would like to make this less painless if I can. Thanks guys and gals.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:15 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

The upper CA are easy to replace, with the exception of separating ball joints. Of course you will lose the alignment. For the lower CAs, I think you will need a torsion bar tool; there are youtube videos out there on this.
I have not done the lower CAs; probably should as like you are seeing, the bushings are not in the best of condition (after 18 yrs on my Blazer).
When I did the uppers, I purchased the complete MOOG CAs, however the ball joints do not have a grease fitting on them, so I would not recommend these. I kept the original CAs as I was going to do what you are; clean, paint, new bushings and ball joints, have them ready for when the MOOG ones fail. But so far so good...been like 5 yrs and just checked the ball joints, still good.

Let us know how the work goes.

Last edited by LannyL81; 05-06-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:22 PM

I have all new Spicer ball joints even though mine are okay, I did them about 6 years ago, but they were on clearance on RockAuto. Also I need an alignment anyway.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:23 PM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

I would clean and paint the control arms before pressing in the new bushings also may want to reinforce them to prevent bending of the ears.

the Torsion bar mounts aren't hard with the torsion bars out but the bolts can break so be prepared for that or corroded and skinny.

If you are going to tear down that far and get an alignment I would look real hard at the wheel hubs and shocks since they will be easy to do.

Almost forgot but the dust shields on the brakes are easy to do at this time. Check the boots on the CV shaft again easier now than after reassemble. Don't ask me how I know this.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:39 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Upper bushing do not need to be pressed out or in. A torch will get them out and you can put them back in by hand ( use a bit of lube). The lowers need to be pressed out and back in. If the ball joints have bolts holding them in then they are easy. If the have rivets, you'll need the proper tools to get them out. Much easier if the control arm is not mounted. Still a PITA, but easier than if they are mounted.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:40 AM

The shocks are less than a year old and the hubs are in good shape. This project may be on hold for a while since we are supposed to have rain all weekend and temps in the low 40s.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:46 AM

The torsion bar tool I referred to is used to unload/load the torsion bar.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:39 AM

I rented one from Autozone yesterday. it is this guy. - https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tool...-tool/409643_0

Old 05-08-2020, 08:20 AM

That should do it. Be sure to take it slow and easy when releasing the torsion rod....LOTS of energy there.

Old 05-09-2020, 02:16 PM
puttster will become famous soon enough

Here is a great write-up by puttster . signed, puttster
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...ictures-97791/
As for realignment, I did mine myself and it worked out fine. Good luck!

PS
IIRC the challenge is removing the frame nuts and then pulling the knurled bolts out through the frame.

Last edited by puttster; 05-10-2020 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Control arm bushings