2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

CV Joint failure / grinding AARGH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Beginning Member
marklar is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I thought I had the truck finally fixed. I replaced all the ball joints (yay!), got the wheels aligned (they were off), and was good to go. Or so I thought...

I went for a long drive-- no problem. But then I go to stop, and there is a loud garish grinding coming from the front passenger wheel-- even worse, I can't stop as quickly. I get out to look at the wheel, and there is grease flung around everywhere by the CV joint- yep, it failed. On my way home (only a few miles), the steering feels loose, and the garish grinding happens when I brake- there also feels like there are "pops" on that corner, as well. When the wheels are straight ahead, the passenger wheel visibly points out to the right. The brake grinding only happens when braking going forward- not reverse.

What the **** happened? Did I mess something up when I replaced the ball joints? (I might have pulled something in the half-shaft loose). Just a big coincidence? Anything else I should worry about now?

I'll have more in the morning, when I can look at everything.

Just annoyed... In a day I went from having a perfectly good truck to one I don't feel safe driving. Not good...

Last edited by marklar; 08-15-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marklar
Well, I thought I had the truck finally fixed. I replaced all the ball joints (yay!), got the wheels aligned (they were off), and was good to go. Or so I thought...

I went for a long drive-- no problem. But then I go to stop, and there is a loud garish grinding coming from the front passenger wheel-- even worse, I can't stop as quickly. I get out to look at the wheel, and there is grease flung around everywhere by the CV joint- yep, it failed. On my way home (only a few miles), the steering feels loose, and the garish grinding happens when I brake- there also feels like there are "pops" on that corner, as well. When the wheels are straight ahead, the passenger wheel visibly points out to the right. The brake grinding only happens when braking going forward- not reverse.

What the **** happened? Did I mess something up when I replaced the ball joints? (I might have pulled something in the half-shaft loose). Just a big coincidence? Anything else I should worry about now?

I'll have more in the morning, when I can look at everything.

Just annoyed... In a day I went from having a perfectly good truck to one I don't feel safe driving. Not good...
It really sounds like you need to get in there and see what's going on. If the wheel looks like its turned even when the other side is straight, then you likely have a problem with the steering linkage. If the wheel is tilted in/out at the top/bottom, then the ball joints are likely to blame, but it could be a problem with the wheel bearing (especially given the brake issue).

*EDIT* - I see that you now have edited your post... Do you want this thread deleted?

Old 08-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Beginning Member
marklar is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like we got ourselves a bad edit! I'll fix that right now:

Took the wheel, and found where the grinding was coming from: One of the bolts on the caliper bracket was missing, and the caliper bracket was rubbing against the wheel! Must have lost the bolt somewhere, because it worked for about 100 miles... I remember putting it in, and even tightening it, but I was working with my buddy Weiser at the time, so who knows... No major damage done.

Still trying to figure out how and why the CV joint (boot) failed. May these be related, or did I mess something up during my ball joint adventure earlier?

As far as the wheel, when the passenger side wheel looked like it was pointing slightly right even when the driver side was straight ahead. That comes later.

CV joint replacement, clean-up, and I should be good to go (I think...)

Oh, and thanks for the help and encouragement. It's really nice to have.

Last edited by marklar; 08-16-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I fixed your post above.

If your wheel is pointing to the right when the driver side is straight, then you have something wrong with the steering linkage.