2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Did it Fall Down the Intake???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Blazer4U is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Did it Fall Down the Intake???

Pulled the CPI unit because I changed a couple of poppet valves earlier today. When I checked the fuel pressure, the needle dropped to 0 within about 10 seconds. What now?? I then pulled the CPI unit from the Nut Kit lines and the o-ring from the return line went flying somewhere. I don't know if it fell down into the lower intake manifold or not. Now what? Am I going to have to pull the lower again and check to see if the o-ring fell down in there, or would something like that just blow out with the compression? I can vision one of the cylinders coated with molten rubber and frying the head. What would you do? Never had to deal with this before. Man, I should have covered those holes up...........................

Old 08-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Default RE: Did it Fall Down the Intake???

Unless any other suggestions here in a few minutes, I'm going to be pulling the lower intake again here shortly to search more for the lost o-ring....I tried bubble gum on a long wire last night, but with all the sharp angles, no luck. Just a carbon coated bubble gum. On the other hand, I think I might have invented a wonderful new flavor of bubble gum. A taste all its own!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:11 PM

Did it Fall Down the Intake???
Let's see. I guess I'll answer my own question.

You know man, chances are it did fall down the intake. I myself wouldn't take the chance. Pull the lower intake and see what you can find out. Maybe you won't have to pull the heads if it didn't get down that far. Good luck!

You know man, chances are it did fall down the intake. I myself wouldn't take the chance. Pull the lower intake and see what you can find out. Maybe you won't have to pull the heads if it didn't get down that far. Good luck!
Dude, that was such good advice! I pulled the lower intake manifold and shined the shop light down into the passageways. Couldn't really see anything but the valve stems shining in there. So I grabbed a flashlight and lo and behold, there sat the oring right on top of an open intake valve.

I'm not usually this lucky, but just a few minutes earlier I had a friend bump the engine over to get it to TDC. Imagine how that o-ring sat there on that valve head without falling off with that engine being bumped over several turns. I made a loop on the end of a piece of stripped copper house wire and stuck it down in there totally expecting to knock it further on down into the cylinder. I got so lucky and the o-ring came right out on the end of that wire!

I've have to remember to listen to you more often, especially when you have those gut feelings of yours. Thanks again for all the help dude!

Old 08-27-2008, 05:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Having a conversation with yourself are you? You did the right thing by pulling it apart as you know. Whenever there is a question as to "IF" it made it down into the intake, you go as far as you need to go for your peace of mind. Anyone could have told you what they would have done, but it really wouldn't matter as you have to choose yourself.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:39 PM
blzR is an unknown quantity at this point

Would it really be a issue if it was just left in there to burn off?

Old 08-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on how it goes through. If the valve were to catch it, it could bend the valve.