2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Do I have a block heater?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:39 PM
twylo is on a distinguished road
Default Do I have a block heater?

Hello everyone,

I own a 1999 Blazer LS, and this morning I think it got a little too cold for it to start. I had to get a boost to start it. The engine would crank, just not turn over. Does the truck have a plug in under the hood so I can plug it in over night? Every other car I've owned has had one, but I can't seem to find it on this one... any help would be appreciated!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it did, the block heater would most likely be installed in the rear most freeze plug on the driver side of the engine. They were a dealer installed option and it is doubtful that you have one.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:58 PM

Really? That seems so weird that it wouldn't have one. Is there something I can do or something I can buy that is similar? It's almost like my battery freezes over night and then I need a boost to get it started.. would this be the battery or something else? As I said before, it will crank but it just won't turn over unless I get a boost.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tested your battery charge level? You may have a weak battery or a current drain affecting matters.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:34 PM

I know the battery is about 6 months old, that's why it doesn't make much sense to me.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Starting Member
1998MSO is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I'm confused....you say it will crank but won't turn over? They both mean the same thing.
When you turn the key, does the starter engage and crank the engine?
Also, how cold are you talking about? I'm in below zero temps often and never needed an engine heater.

Last edited by 1998MSO; 12-03-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:58 PM

Well I mean it makes the noise where it's about to start about 3 or 4 times but then doesn't start... Yes, it's below zero temperatures. Probably -15 degrees celcius over night. However, I put the jumper cable on and it starts first try.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point

that is weird...I Live in Edmonton, ALberta and havnt had to plug in ever...It gets freaking cold here too! its kinda funny my remote starter module will freeze when it hits
-30 celcius and i have to walk out side and start it. Where do you live twylo?

Old 12-04-2009, 06:52 AM
Administrator

New batteries are not immune to a power draw in the truck. Nor are they immune to manufacturing defects.

Have your battery load tested. Clean your connections. And see if charging the battery over night helps.

If after all of that, the battery checks out ok, then you should start looking for a low amperage current draw that is draining the battery over night. But I think your problem is either in the battery, the connections, or the cables themselves.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:34 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

We hit -15 to -20 (not including windchill) in the dead of winter overnight here...and I've never had an issue starting either. Seems a bit odd to me.
I'd test the battery levels. Something doesn't seem right there.

Quick Reply: Do I have a block heater?