2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Do I have a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Ade_Sullivianni is on a distinguished road
Default Do I have a problem?

Hi,

I am new to the forum and I am not even sure I have a problem. I just bought a 2003 Blazer with 70,000 miles. I am used to driving a car and the Blazer is different from what I am used to.

When I start the car, there is sometimes a loud noise from under the hood. It sounds kind of like the engine is jumping and banging. Not all of the time, but sometimes. Is that normal?

When I start it and shift from park to reverse, the whole car jumps. The brake is pressed all the way to the floor. Normal?

There is sometimes a “buck” when the transmission shifts, especially from 2nd to 3rd. It shifts, but I am not used to hearing it. I guess it kind of hesitates and then shifts?

When I turn the wheel hard (like to pull into a parking spot) I hear/feel a bang coming from under the car. In the back seat?

If I accelerate quickly (i.e. merge into traffic) the RPMs race but the car doesn’t respond immediately. It will buck and then move faster?

When I shut the car off after driving, sometimes it vibrates a little before it shuts all the way down. Not violently but noticeably. Is that okay?

I hope I am being paranoid. The car is still under warranty for a few more days. I have been back to the dealership with my concerns and have been told “that is just how these trucks run”?

Really? If anything sounds wrong to you guys, please let me know. Maybe I can have the dealership look into something specific if there is something wrong. Right now they think I am crazy. Maybe I am?

Hope to hear from you soon! I have until Tuesday!!

Old 04-11-2009, 02:57 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

You most definantly are having transmission issues. Have you checked your tranny fluid yet?

I think that since it is under warranty anyways, you need to take it to a mechanic(find a smaller shop), and tell them what you've told us. Then, let them drive it and ask for a write-up of what's wrong. Then, take that write up to the dealer. If you still have issues with the dealer-look into a lawyer.

Last edited by mech cb; 04-11-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:02 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

When I start the car, there is sometimes a loud noise from under the hood. It sounds kind of like the engine is jumping and banging. Not all of the time, but sometimes. Is that normal? No. This should be fixed.

When I start it and shift from park to reverse, the whole car jumps. The brake is pressed all the way to the floor. Normal? No. How fast is the engine idling?

There is sometimes a “buck” when the transmission shifts, especially from 2nd to 3rd. It shifts, but I am not used to hearing it. I guess it kind of hesitates and then shifts? Don't think so.

When I turn the wheel hard (like to pull into a parking spot) I hear/feel a bang coming from under the car. In the back seat? No.

If I accelerate quickly (i.e. merge into traffic) the RPMs race but the car doesn’t respond immediately. It will buck and then move faster? This one is subjective. Sometimes the downshift response will be different than what you feel in a sportier car.

When I shut the car off after driving, sometimes it vibrates a little before it shuts all the way down. Not violently but noticeably. Is that okay? Vibrating? Like it is trying to stay running?

I hope I am being paranoid. The car is still under warranty for a few more days. I have been back to the dealership with my concerns and have been told “that is just how these trucks run”? What kind of dealership? Chevrolet? Used car dealer? "Just how these trucks run" means either they don't know how to fix it or don't want to.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by mech cb
I think that since it is under warranty anyways, you need to take it to a mechanic(find a smaller shop), and tell them what you've told us. Then, let them drive it and ask for a write-up of what's wrong. Then, take that write up to the dealer. If you still have issues with the dealer-look into a lawyer.

I agree wholeheartedly! How many times have you had it in for these same problems? If these problems persist you may want to research "Lemon Laws" in your state.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:07 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, man. Did that dealer put any sugar on that BS they fed you? As stated above, you have transmission issues, and if it is a 4x4 then perhaps bad CV joints or ball joints. The U-joints may also be bad. The symptoms you listed are absolutely not normal for these trucks!

Old 04-11-2009, 03:08 PM

Thanks for your help!

Oh, I almost forgot that part. The transmission fluid was nice and pink but VERY overfilled. I always thought that was bad so I told the mechanic at dealership about it and he told me it wasn’t a big deal, anything the car didn’t need would be pushed out? I took it to a local transmission shop because I didn’t think that sounded right and they replaced a fan clutch (that wasn’t covered by warranty).

I forgot to mention to mention in my post that there was a loud roar when I accelerated in low gears and the garage told me a fan clutch would take care of the rough shifting and the loud roar. It didn’t. The roar is still there too.

I siphoned the transmission fluid out so it is at the appropriate level though.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ade_Sullivianni
Thanks for your help!

The transmission fluid was nice and pink but VERY overfilled. I always thought that was bad so I told the mechanic at dealership about it and he told me it wasn’t a big deal, anything the car didn’t need would be pushed out?

"Pushed out" where to? These guys are giving you some serious run around. I'd take the biggest, ugliest, meanest looking dude with you next time you go.

But seriously. You may want to pick up a digital recorder from radio shack and go through all these problems with the dealer again. Record said conversation. You may need the proof.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by oisinirish
When I start the car, there is sometimes a loud noise from under the hood. It sounds kind of like the engine is jumping and banging. Not all of the time, but sometimes. Is that normal? No. This should be fixed.

When I start it and shift from park to reverse, the whole car jumps. The brake is pressed all the way to the floor. Normal? No. How fast is the engine idling?

I don't know. I will have to check.

There is sometimes a “buck” when the transmission shifts, especially from 2nd to 3rd. It shifts, but I am not used to hearing it. I guess it kind of hesitates and then shifts? Don't think so.

When I turn the wheel hard (like to pull into a parking spot) I hear/feel a bang coming from under the car. In the back seat? No.

If I accelerate quickly (i.e. merge into traffic) the RPMs race but the car doesn’t respond immediately. It will buck and then move faster? This one is subjective. Sometimes the downshift response will be different than what you feel in a sportier car.

When I shut the car off after driving, sometimes it vibrates a little before it shuts all the way down. Not violently but noticeably. Is that okay? Vibrating? Like it is trying to stay running?

Yes, like it is still running!

I hope I am being paranoid. The car is still under warranty for a few more days. I have been back to the dealership with my concerns and have been told “that is just how these trucks run”? What kind of dealership? Chevrolet? Used car dealer? "Just how these trucks run" means either they don't know how to fix it or don't want to.

A Nissan lot. They said it was a "well maintained local trade in".
I will be at the dealership bright and early Monday morning

Old 04-11-2009, 03:24 PM

Thanks everyone! When I get through with the dealership, I will come back and post. Maybe I will have good news!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:00 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

The recorder is an excellent idea! Normally, I say better buisness beaureau, but this is way beyond them. You take that recorder to a lawyer and they'll be foaming at the lips to get on this dealership! I thought about mentioning the whole lemon law thing, but I wasn't sure if that applies to used vehicles.

Quick Reply: Do I have a problem?