2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dome light always on problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:29 AM
David Hineline is an unknown quantity at this point

Some quick background cause it's hard to troubleshoot without data.

Bought a used 2003 Blazer 4WD with overhead console with two button compass and temp only. Does have power outlets two in front rather than lighter sockets. I had a CODE brand alarm installed. I wired additional power outlets onto the fold down power outlet where the ashtray is. Tonight I wired into the aux power jack down below and to the right of the ashtray. I wired to the aux outlet a 12V-110AC inverter 400w and installed it under the floor console. Routed the 12V hot direct to the inverter and ended up switching the negative to the inverter and mounted AC outlet in the panel knockout on the back of the console. Took a few hrs to do all this with the drivers side doors both open. As I was working in the dark, the interior lights went off many times, I cycled by finger the front drivers door pin switch to turn the interior lights back on so I could see. When I got it all wired up and working I took a nap. Went out for a drive later and the interior dome light would not turn off. Normally when I put the shift into drive the doors lock and the dome light goes off. Now the drivers door does not lock and the dome light stays on. If I use the lock button all doors lock but when button released the drivers door lock pops back up. It did start working correctly for a bit, but then again not. Same symptoms, dome light on, dome override button will shut it off, drivers door does not lock and if locked with the button it pops back to unlocked. If I manually push the lock down it stays locked.

Then at 3:30 AM to I am sure the disgust of the neighbors the CODE alarm goes screaming off, I get out and stop the alarm and it is flashing the door trip code. All doors and back glass and I suspect the hood pin switch which is new all give the door signal. Will have to check that out. So for the neighbors sake and my own I locked car without alarm tonight. I am guessing it is related to a door swith, another variable tonight was a hard rain, first rain the car has been in since I owned it.

Ok so the front door jam pin switches check out ok, the rear pin switches feel gummy, and if wiggled they will clear the problem. So time to replace them, I pulled and wiggled and they come out, so new ones will pop right back in.

Last edited by rriddle3; 05-25-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS