Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Engine change (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/engine-change-95578/)

LesMyer 10-24-2017 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Janelle15901 (Post 681644)
Thanks for all the help and info it's greatly appreciated. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again.

Please do - and come back with any questions you have.

Janelle15901 10-24-2017 08:22 PM

Hey one more quick stupid question. Is it at all possible that the problems im having could be linked to air in the cooling system from when we changed the water pump, thermostat or the radiator? I'm only asking because a friend of mine pointed out that when we had the radiator Cap off with the blazer running that it should not be pushing fluid out really bad like it was. He said it might be an air pocket. I was just wondering if this could be at all possible instead of a blown head gasket

LesMyer 10-25-2017 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Janelle15901 (Post 681653)
Hey one more quick stupid question. Is it at all possible that the problems im having could be linked to air in the cooling system from when we changed the water pump, thermostat or the radiator? I'm only asking because a friend of mine pointed out that when we had the radiator Cap off with the blazer running that it should not be pushing fluid out really bad like it was. He said it might be an air pocket. I was just wondering if this could be at all possible instead of a blown head gasket

If it is billowing white sweet smelling smoke when fully warmed up and missing - that is pretty indicative of a bad head gasket or a cracked head. A little white smoke while warming up can be condensation burning out of the exhaust.

If you want a more positive test before giving up on your old engine - with your engine cool and not started, fill your radiator to the brim with coolant. Then pressurize each cylinder in turn with shop air (100+ psi) and look for bubbles in the coolant (start by pressurizing the cylinder(s) that is showing misfire). I realize that you will probably have to take it to a shop to get this done, but if you want to know for certain......

As far as being able to fill with coolant after repairs, I simply jack up the front end with a floor jack and keep filling the radiator until level stays full, put the cap on it, and make sure there is coolant in the reservoir to suck back in when engine cools down again. I've never had trouble getting all air pockets out of my Blazer this way. Usually problems with air pockets that won't go away tell you there is something causing this.

FYI if you try to add coolant to an overheated engine, it will go in - then boil and come right back out at you. Have to add coolant when engine is cool or at least well below the boiling point of your coolant. Also, cold coolant hitting excessively hot metal can actually cause cracks. Patience after overheating.

good luck and just ask if anything more.