2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Engine lights a plenty

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 04:29 PM
Mule is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine lights a plenty

I have a 2001 Blazer ZR-2 and ever since I bought it about a year and a half ago the check engine light keeps coming on and turning off. When I had a warranty on it, I took it to the shop and they said it was a couple things like...I cant remember uhh, themass air sensor and the O2 sensor or something. They said they replaced those but still since then my light turns on for a week or two and goes off for a month or so. Anybody else have this problem and if so what did you do about it? So far I just let it go because it's intermittent and my shop wont do anything, but it's annoing.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Engine lights a plenty

AutoZone will plug in their OBD code reader and give you a list of the stored engine codes. Post them and we can help you.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:53 PM

Yes, once again like clockwork, the sensor came back on the day after I posted this. I got the engine codes and again it was the mass air. This seems to happen all the time. Does anyone have a clue as to why?

Old 04-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Starting Member

If the code is pointing you to the Mass Air sensor, an easy fix is to first clean the sensor. You can buy a can of Mass Air Sensor spray cleaner, follow the direction carefully, and clean and re-assemble the unit. It's not a hard thing to do.

The MAS is inline in the tube that directs air into the throttle body. Take the hose apart, clean the sensor, re-assemble and see if the problem goes away. Does this vehicle have a K&N filter perhaps? If so, the oil can contaminate the MAS wires thus creating your problem.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:25 PM
snowman is an unknown quantity at this point

just thought

just thought I had my maf corrected today, by cleaning it with brake cleaner. Code cleared, but 5mins from home check engine light went back on. The price up here in Manitoba is 317.80 for a new one. Will be back at the garage next Wednesday, will post results on my site.

i

Old 04-04-2007, 09:43 PM

Nope, no K&N yet. The engine is completely stock.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:29 PM
snowman is an unknown quantity at this point

did you get a p101 code for maf?

Old 04-05-2007, 12:04 PM

I think I did, but I cant remember. It was pretty early yes. morning. Once I saw the Mass Air I didnt think about anything else.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Starting Member

I don't know if Brake Cleaner is the right stuff to use to clean the MAF. You can buy a dedicated MAF sensor spray cleaner. Apparently the delicate platinum wires in the MAF can be contaminated. I just read an article about cleaning the MAF, I think it was in this month's issue of "Home Handyman" magazine. Might be worth a small investment to get the mag or just read that article in your local supermarket.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:40 PM

I'll have to pick up that issue today and check it out. Will repost when all is said and done. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Engine lights a plenty