Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Engine misfires momentarily after accelerating (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/engine-misfires-momentarily-after-accelerating-40055/)

evlblkwpnz 01-30-2010 11:00 PM

Engine misfires momentarily after accelerating

For example, if I have to pass another vehicle, the engine starts to skip/misfire a few seconds later and stops after about 10 seconds. I have done a tune up and have had the intake gaskets replaced and it still does it. I'm think I may have a bad head gasket. However, the coolant level in the radiator doesn't change and I have no steam coming out of the tailpipe. The coolant does have that "exhaust" smell, but here is no "bubbling" in the radiator. Has anyone here experienced this? What do you think it is? How much do shops generally charge to do a proper head gasket replacement if that is the problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is driving me crazy....

ETA: I just put a new fuel pump assembly and fuel filter in today and that wasn't it either....

evlblkwpnz 01-31-2010 10:05 AM

Hello.... Hello.... Hello

is there anybody in there. Just nod if you can hear me. Is there anyone home?

rriddle3 01-31-2010 02:02 PM

1. We have no clue about what you're driving.
2. Have patience when you post. People have things to do in their lives.
3. Have the ignition coil tested.

evlblkwpnz 01-31-2010 06:44 PM

oops...

I am driving a 2001 Chevy Blazer 2 door 2wd 4.3L . I thought it was in my signature, sorry. I guess that kind of info could be benificial... duh :)

swartlkk 01-31-2010 06:54 PM

Have you cleaned the EGR valve and MAF sensor? How did the old plugs look?

You may want to mist down the wires with the engine running to see if the spark is jumping from the wires even though they are new. I have seen this a few times.

evlblkwpnz 01-31-2010 09:03 PM

I haven't done anything to the EGR valve or MAF sensor. I don't even know where they are, but I'll try to figure it out. Will solvent harm either of these or is it the right thing to use? I appreciate your reply. I know it sure would be nice if it is as simple as cleaning something. I'm tired of throwing money at the problem to no avail. Elbow grease is cheap, lol.

ETA: found the EGR valve. My lame Haynes manual mentions very little about the MAF sensor. I'll have to look at the vehicle tomorrow and figure it out.

BlackFireLS4.3 02-01-2010 02:23 PM

is it Down on Power (DOP) or does it fall on its face? does it do it at all speeds and loads? while idling in park/neutral?

evlblkwpnz 02-02-2010 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by BlackFireLS4.3 (Post 294056)
is it Down on Power (DOP) or does it fall on its face? does it do it at all speeds and loads? while idling in park/neutral?

It only does it when under a load like passing. I runs well at any speed, as long as I don't try to get to that speed fast it will not misfire. I can be doing 55-60mph and pass someone. Right after that, it misfires for a few seconds. If I let off of the accelerator, it will stop after say 5-10 seconds and run right. The Blazer will haul @$$, but after a few seconds of it, it misfires. I haven't had time to look at the MAF or EGR. It doesn't have a tag on it yet, so it really isn't a big deal for now. I am selling my fullsize Blazer and I need to get this one running good. Also, I'd love to have a little "redlight rally" with a couple imports around here, lol.

evlblkwpnz 02-06-2010 12:22 PM

How do I know if my EGR valve is bad?

I have the EGR valve out of the Blazer. It is quite smutty looking, but the plunger? moves freely. I am going to clean it and the exhaust gas piping as best I can. I was wondering if there is a way I can test it before I put it back in? Thank you.

BTW I cleaned the MAF sensor. It didn't look terribly dirty, but I cleaned it anyway.

swartlkk 02-06-2010 01:15 PM

It will usually set a code. There really isn't a whole lot of testing you can do with it though.