Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Engine problem (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/engine-problem-97696/)

tommyboy8072002 09-04-2018 09:12 PM

Engine problem

HI everyone. I am having a Mechanical problem i was driving my 2000 Chevy blazer with the 4.3 V6 and all at once i lost power lifters started tapping like crazy at the same time i could smell sulfur like a bad cat. I was able to get it home also check engine light came on i checked the codes one was a mass air flow sensor along with #4 misfire i have no idle runs really rough when you give it gas to keep it running. I'm just Curious if a bad catalytic converter would cause this or is it more internal.
Thank you for anyone who can help me figure this thing out.

christine_208 09-04-2018 09:26 PM

That your lifters started making noise makes me wonder if there is an issue with the oil. Have you checked the oil? Is it at the right level; either too low or too high? Is it contaminated with gas or coolant?

tommyboy8072002 09-05-2018 07:05 AM

Christine_208 yes i have good oil pressure. And after it did this i also checked the oil and its still full. The day before all of this i went on a 4 hour road trip ran fine all the way there and back. Till yesterday when i went to go to town. I am going to pull the valve cover. Oil is good and no coolant in the oil oil also does not smell like gas. no coolant in the oil. Never over heated as well.

Mike.308 09-05-2018 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by christine_208 (Post 695231)
Have you checked the oil? [...]Is it contaminated with gas or coolant?

Let me be more detailed on Christine's tips:
  • what is the oil pressure for idle now?
  • how does the oil look like now? does it still have the consistency/transparency of an oil?
  • does the oil have an aroma of fuel or burned fuel?
It less likely would be catalytic, more like an internal thing. What's your mileage?

tommyboy8072002 09-05-2018 10:49 AM

Mike.308 Oil looks new (clear) i am not sure what the oil pressure is at idle it just quits at idle.I am getting 40 psi at 1000 rpm i have the motor somewhat tore down i just have to remove the wiring harness that is over the valve cover on the passenger side. But once i get it apart i will let you know what i find.
Thanks..

tommyboy8072002 09-05-2018 12:14 PM

update i pulled the valve cover off checked the valves everything seems to be fine . oil pressure is at 45 idle and with 1000 rpm i am at 60 psi Also going to be checking the compression just for kicks. I found out that number 4 Cylinder is not getting oil to the lifters. But all the rest are. I got it back together but still running rough do to the miss fire on # 4 Cylinder. Is there a product that i can use that will clean the motor out like sea foam or something.

Mike.308 09-06-2018 05:20 PM

If lifter does not get the oil, it will not lift the valve. I think You may save Yourself of doing compression test.
But I have no clue how to solve a single valve lubrication problem. Are You sure the lifter is not getting the oil? Maybe it's the lifter? If the surface ain't bad yet, I'd swap the lifter with another cylinder to find out.

christine_208 09-06-2018 05:35 PM

Is it that there is no oil going to the the #4 lifters or is it that the #4 lifters are collapsed?

LesMyer 09-07-2018 11:50 AM

Do compression test - all cylinders before proceeding!!!! Make sure you don't have a dead hole.

If it won't idle at all, then it is much more than a single cylinder misfire. I wouldn't trust the misfire detection a this point.

How do you know that #4 lifter has no oil supply?

Post a video of the engine running and the sound it is making.

tommyboy8072002 09-08-2018 08:01 PM

number 4 is the only one throwing a miss fire code. I couldn't see oil coming through the push rods Started the motor valves was moving .Till it bent the push rod and broke the rocker arm. pretty sure its a lifter problem. But not 100% sure. How do you post a video? Here is what it sound like. sorry i had to post it on you tube due to i don't know how to post it on this forum. Zero compression on #4 and bent another push rod. I have a new Lifters on order. But will this fix my compression issue