2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Engine Stalls when hot outside - NO mechanics can figure out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Beginning Member
frustrated_chevy_girl is on a distinguished road

Another Chevy girl Thank you for your response! I am willing to try it all because I want to keep this truck for a long time!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Starting Member
dobyken is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by frustrated_chevy_girl
You guys are being so helpful. I appreciate ALL these responses!

dobyken i could rent one of the pressure testers and use that for a couple of days to test the fuel pressure.
Not quite what I meant. I thinking more along the lines of something that would chart the fuel pressure as you drive. Although you could hook up a regular fuel pressure gauge it would be hard to see while driving and if it's an intermittent issue you would probably crash into a tree trying to keep your eyes on the gauge.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Beginning Member

Oh, ok i gotcha! Does anyone have instructions on how to replace the Idol air control valve? That is what I told the mechanics to look at and sure enough they said thats the prob. Of course they want to charge me $475 to replace that and clean the intake system. I don't have that kind of $$

Old 07-22-2011, 11:35 AM
agunez is on a distinguished road

The oil pressure gauge moving as you accelerate is normal, I think at idle should be about 10psi, you said yours is almos 0, get the thicker oil, and if that does not increase your oil pressure, then check your oil pressure sender, please post back what fixed Gus's problem when you got it fixed so we can learn.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

$475 to replace a ~$70 part that is held in with 2 screws & has one electrical connection! Wow!

This diagram from Compnine.com should show you where it is and how it is removed..

Old 07-22-2011, 11:55 AM
agunez is on a distinguished road

I think if when your truck stall if your tac is showing rpm below 500 your idle valve maybe bad or just needs to be cleaned, I just cleaned mine because when stoping at a traffic light my Rpms were going below 500 and my truck was shaking like it wanted to die, after I cleaned it maintain the correct idle with the ac on, to be honest I was afraid to remove it , and after I cleaned and cleaned the port were it goes to and the throtle I put everithig back together and started the truck and the Rpms were too hight like 1500, I was like what have I done! But I drove it like that and at the end of the day it was ok I guess it reset it self

Old 07-22-2011, 12:46 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Carry a bottle of water with you. When the truck stalls pour it slowly on the PCM (finned box on the passenger fender). Wait 30 seconds and try starting it. I had a Chevy van doing exactly what you described before. Cheap test if it's the same problem

Old 07-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Beginning Member

Well the mechanic put the part in without my permission...*sigh*. So, live and learn. I now have you all for help! This looks like it would have been an easy inexpensive fix if I did it myself. I will update you all to see if this eliminates the problem. Thank you for ALL the feedback!

Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Beginning Member

So I just picked Gus up. They NOW tell me that when the hook their computer up to it (after cleaning and replacing this idol air control valve) that the valve won't open up with their computer. Telling me that now its an electrical issue?? And now its ideling at 5000-10000 rpms. Now what?!

Old 07-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Considering that the engine's redline is 5600RPM, it cannot be idling at 10000RPM. It would literally destroy itself.

Find a new shop and don't pay the old one a red cent for their part swapping approach to "diagnosis". They are clearly out of their element trying to fix your truck and sound completely incompetent.

Quick Reply: Engine Stalls when hot outside - NO mechanics can figure out!