2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

engine and transmission removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 08:25 PM
blazernate1002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default engine and transmission removal

im going to attempt to remove the engine and transmission form my 97 2rd blazer 4x4 this weekend so far i have removed the radiator support..well just say the whole front end..also removed the top of the engine..this is my first engine and tranny removal all being done in a garage with only a cherry picker...everything else by hand.

my questions are

will i have any clearance problems i need to know before hand?

can i leave the Y pipe on the engine?

do i need to remove the transfer case from the transmisson or will it come out on the tranny with no problems?

is there anything i need to look for that might get caught?

theres not much room between the oil pan and the front axle housing..is this going to be a problem?

do i need to seperate the engine from the transmsisison before removal?

are there any connectors i cannot see that i need to look for?

i need as much help as i can get..this is my primary vehicle and needs to be done asap...

Old 01-25-2006, 08:35 PM
Default RE: engine and transmission removal

i guess i take no body has ever removed the engine and transmission.....

well so far i have learned the Y does have to come off...and that the transfer case must be removed from the transmission

and that there are just a couple connectors and vent tubes to be removed..

Old 01-25-2006, 08:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I guess the first question would be what prompted this removal? Does the transmission need to be removed/repaired or can it be left in the vehicle? Does the engine need to be removed repaired? What are you trying to accomplish?

Old 01-25-2006, 08:39 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

You may have to remove the hood too.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:33 AM

im removing the transmission because i lost 3-4 and imjust going to buy a 700-E raptor junior transmission to go in and im removing the engine because while i got the money im having it rebuilt. along with comp cams ect....

Old 01-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, well, I would remove the tranny from underneith, then remove the engine. You probably could have saved yourself a lot of work because the core support, etc shouldn't need to be removed.

The transfer case will need to be removed no matter what method you choose. I think it is just easier to pull the tranny out the bottom. The last vehicle that I was able to pull the engine and tranny as one was my Chevelle. The rest of the motor/tranny pulls I have done over the years were just easier to complete by removing the tranny out the bottom.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:23 PM

what do u meen by the core support...are you refering to the transmission cross member that the end of the tranny bolts to if so it had to come out no room if it was still in......

im going to try and remove the engine and tranny togeather because i have no way to get the tranny off the engine right now....also because the way it looks i have to remove the starter to get to the torque converter bolts...since there is no converter sheild and with just myself its hard...but ill have help this weekend incase i need to go that route.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Core support = radiator core support - the sheetmetal framework that holds the inner/outer fenders on at each end and holds the radiator. You will have to pull the hood, not that it is a difficult thing to do (2 bolts, an electrical connection, a ground, and your windsheild washer hose).

The tranny crossmember will most definitely have to come out. If you have a floor jack, the transmission can be removed with that. Just leave the engine on its mounts, unbolt the tranny from the engine, disconnect the cooler lines, unbolt the torque converter, remove the transfercase (might also want the jack for this as well), then lower down the tranny on the jack. Slide it off onto the floor, then out from under the truck. I like to put it on either a peice of old carpet or a large sheet of cardboard and then just drag the carpet or cardboard out so then you won't scuff up the pan. Then pull the engine out pretty much straight up. You'll want to remove the radiator, fan/clutch, your power steering pump and the A/C compressor first and just bungy/tie them to the inner fender somewhere so as not to stress the lines. You'll also want to pull the distributor and disconnect the exhaust.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Also, I didn't specifically state to disconnect any wiring that may be connected to sensors on both the engine and transmission. You'll also have to check and make sure that the harnesses themselves aren't attached to the transmission case or to the engine before pulling them.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:45 PM

o ok yeah i removed the radiator support..and hood...had to lossen the front fender to get it off.....after i finally got th Y pipe off last nite i took the transfer case out..or should i say it fell out..lol....had it loose and removed but with the y pipe still on it wouldt clear..so when i finally got all the bolts off i was wiggling it off and the darn thing knocked the transfer case off the stand.....now i gotta buy a motor for it since it broke the plastic..oopps..lol...

Quick Reply: engine and transmission removal