2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

EVAP Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:39 AM
quinnman105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EVAP Problems.

This was the 1st code my 2001 blazer threw out

P0440 Evaporative Emission Purge Control Solenoid Damaged.

This is the 2nd code my 2001 blazer threw out (I have gotten this code 4 or 5 times so far)

P0446 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control malfunction.

1. I replaced the gas cap. Got it at Autozone. Worked for 2 weeks then "Check Engine Light" Came back on

2. I also replaced the Purge Valve. Worked for 1 day. then "Check Engine Light" Came back on. I got the code removed from the computer. It was this code again. What could be causing the "Check Engine Light"to keep itcomingback on?

Any ideas?

Kevin From Shelton (Quinnman105)

Old 10-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: EVAP Problems.

P0440 is a generic Evap system code and doesn't necessarily point to any one component in the system.

P0446 however points directly at the vent valve as you have noted. I see that you have replaced the purge solenoid on the engine, but have you had a look at the vent solenoid under the truck? For a 4dr, it is located on the crossmember directly ahead of the spare tire. There are quite a few posts on the vent (purge) valve floating around, let me see if I can find one with the relavant information.

EVAP Vent Solenoid - Part Number?

Then there is a thread that you posted in quite some time ago... Service Engine Soon light... Code P0440

So you replaced the purge valve under the back of the truck and are still getting these codes? If so, then you may have either a faulty vacuum line between the engine and evap system / fuel tank at the back of the truck... The next step for diagnosis is a smoke machine pressurization of the fuel tank & evap system to look for leaks.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:20 AM

Kyle,

I just went to rockauto.com and I just ordered the Vapor Canister Purge Valve and is listed under PN 214633.

Thanks For your helpful information with the PN & Correct Part Name

Kevin

Old 10-30-2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, what part was it that you replaced already?? Was it the purge solenoid on the engine?

Old 10-30-2007, 11:30 AM

The part I replaced was On the Engine

Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 AM

It was NOT the Vapor Canister Purge Valve. I replaced the Purge Valve in the engine

Old 10-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Gotcha, that is what I was thinking. So yeah, the vent valve under the truck should do the trick for ya.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:03 PM

I hope this solves the problem.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Default EVAP Problem Continue!

This is the latest....

This was the 1st code my 2001 blazer threw out

P0440 Evaporative Emission Purge Control Solenoid Damaged.

This is the 2nd code my 2001 blazer threw out (I have gotten this code 4 or 5 times so far)

P0446 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control malfunction.

1. I replaced the gas cap. Got it at Autozone. Worked for 2 weeks then "Check Engine Light" Came back on

2. I also replaced the Purge Valve. Worked for 1 day. then "Check Engine Light" Came back on. I got the code removed from the computer. It was this code again. What could be causing the "Check Engine Light"to keep itcomingback on?

The NEW Vapor Canister Purge Valve won’t work with the current set up on the truck. The old Vapor Canister Purge Valve looks to be a little longer than the new one. I can try to send pic of the (2) different looking ones.

Any ideas?

Kevin From Shelton

Old 11-04-2007, 12:09 PM
Administrator
Default RE: EVAP Problem Continue!

*Moved to 2nd Gen Tech*

I responded to your PM. If you can, snap a picture of the two valves side by side. I know that the PN that I have listed in a few other threads, including this thread, worked without issue on my '00.