Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Evaporator Case Disintegrating (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/evaporator-case-disintegrating-80588/)

bluefleetwood 07-22-2013 07:25 AM

Evaporator Case Disintegrating

I have a 95 GMC Jimmy and I've just noticed my Evaporator Casing on the fire wall is falling apart. Its all dried out and literally falling to little pieces. Are these parts still available and what is involved in changing them out?
Thanks

AndrewO1991 07-22-2013 07:34 AM

there is an exterior case that does this, dont worry about it unless it is in fact the inner most case, which will leave the aluminum evaporator core exposed.

But as far as the case goes, join the club lol. They all do this

bluefleetwood 07-22-2013 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by AndrewO1991 (Post 593600)
there is an exterior case that does this, dont worry about it unless it is in fact the inner most case, which will leave the aluminum evaporator core exposed.

But as far as the case goes, join the club lol. They all do this

Thanks you sir, Should I just peel the rest of it off so no pieces fall where they shouldn't?

AndrewO1991 07-22-2013 07:42 AM

if you want, it wont hurt either way. It will just fall out on the road. Worst case is the exhaust but it wont be set ablaze or anything. Just melt alittle till it is small enough to fall out

bluefleetwood 07-22-2013 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by AndrewO1991 (Post 593605)
if you want, it wont hurt either way. It will just fall out on the road. Worst case is the exhaust but it wont be set ablaze or anything. Just melt alittle till it is small enough to fall out

Is it a pain in the a.. to replace? Does the Evap have to come out?

Twip 07-22-2013 09:13 AM

dont bother replacing it. it really isnt needed as long as the inner case is complete. the outer case is just sorta "extra." the best i can figure is that GM put it there to act as a heat shield, and then later found out they dont really need it as long as the A/C is working properly. plus, if you ever have to change the Blower motor or change the heater core, you have to cut parts of it out and throw them away anyway. so why bother.

bluefleetwood 07-22-2013 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Twip (Post 593639)
dont bother replacing it. it really isnt needed as long as the inner case is complete. the outer case is just sorta "extra." the best i can figure is that GM put it there to act as a heat shield, and then later found out they dont really need it as long as the A/C is working properly. plus, if you ever have to change the Blower motor or change the heater core, you have to cut parts of it out and throw them away anyway. so why bother.

You guys are the BEST!!!!!
Thanks a lot!!!!!