2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

The Ever Dreaded P0420

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 02:25 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Ditto: Welcome to the team.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:50 PM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Ditto: Welcome to the team.
Fair enough, thanks Les 👍

PS: I had been asked a question by Error_401 regarding my cold air induction thread, and had a little time today to do some research so I could come up with an answer that made sense. Thought you guys might enjoy reading if you haven’t seen it yet, I learned a little more today just reading through the scientific papers. Makes me almost wish I had become a combustion engineer

https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...e3/#post719131

Last edited by Billy1820; 02-19-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Billy1820
Fair enough, thanks Les 👍
You're welcome. You seem to be giving sound advice IMHO, and that goes a long way in my book. Now if we can all just keep away from the pissing matches (including myself). That said, I'll be the first to admit there is typically more than one way to diagnose a problem. The only time I really object is when the S.W.A.G. system of diagnosis is invoked and someone starts throwing commonly replaced parts at a problem.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:00 PM

The only time I really object is when the S.W.A.G. system of diagnosis is invoked...
I’m probably showing my age here, but what the hell is that? 🤔

Old 02-19-2020, 04:19 PM

S.W.A.G. = Scientific Wild-*** Guess. Are you young or old? - I'm an old fart, but not yet retired. Here's another one. If it needs convincing, use a B.F.H.!!!

Sorry Cinnamon - we're almost done and will soon return your thread to you!!

Old 02-19-2020, 05:01 PM
Beginning Member
Cinnamon is on a distinguished road

No no, this is all entertaining! Tomorrow I'll pick up that digital thermometer and come back with the results!

Old 02-19-2020, 05:31 PM

S.W.A.G. = Scientific Wild-*** Guess. Are you young or old? - I'm an old fart, but not yet retired. Here's another one. If it needs convincing, use a B.F.H.!!!

Sorry Cinnamon - we're almost done and will soon return your thread to you!!
Lol, ok thanks Les, yeah, I already know what a BFH is, one of those things helped me remove the old wheel bearing hubs from my gf’s front wheel drive Altima.

I’m old too, retired young from city FD just outside Manhattan after serving most of my career as an officer training my crews how not to get killed. I learned early on that “baby steps” was always a good plan in training so as not to get the deer in the headlights look from the brave young men and women I was trying to teach.

Cars were always toys for me, but I paid attention and learned as I went. Now it’s nice to contribute a bit and maybe help out someone who is just starting out.

Cinnimon, if you’re still listening, we’ll get you pointed in the right direction, just let us know how you make out with the O2 sensor swaps, then you’ll have a choice of paths to follow

Old 02-20-2020, 12:09 PM
Beginning Member

So as far as the O2 Sensor Swap goes, that'll have to wait a little. I don't readily have access to an OBDII Scanner, I usually go to the Oreilly's nearest me to get it scanned. Wednesday/Thursday I'll have time to, otherwise I've got school and work.
But today I will pick up that laser thermometer.
I wanna say that its the cat, rather, I'm hoping it is the cat so at least we'll know what to tackle.
IF it is the cat, then I might be in luck since there's an event in California where I live, where they'll give you a $500 Voucher for Emission Repairs. (or you can scrap your car and put it towards a GREEN ECO-FRIENDLY CAR
I like the Blazer too much to do it like that, so I'll put the certificate towards getting it repaired.

One way or another we'll deduce the problem!

Old 02-20-2020, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cinnamon
One way or another we'll deduce the problem!
The $500 voucher sounds good. If it ends up being the catalytic converter, perhaps you could take that money and buy a good universal one online to save some money. If you knew someone who could weld it on there for you that would save even more.

What does the emissions inspection consist of for your vehicle in California?

Keep in mind that:

A) one of the most common causes for catalytic converter failure is an engine misfire. What actually happens is unburned fuel gets passed down to the converter where it ignites and literally cooks the catalyst to death.

B) if you do get a new catalytic converter, make sure your engine ignition/fuel system is in top condition, or you’ll be right back at step (A) again.
That means (IMO lol) new A/C Delco cap and rotor, and good plugs (you did plugs already?) plugs should be A/C Delco 41993.
Wires should be in good shape, if you’re not sure how old they are and they look like hell, best bet is to replace, and again my personal favorite A/C Delco.

This stuff gets expensive and can add up quick; however, good ignition components are always well worth it.

That Bluetooth scanner I told you about is also a great investment, I think I’ve seen them on eBay for $87

Last edited by Billy1820; 02-20-2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:11 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks!!
I did get a new distributor cap and a new rotor popped in as well. I did plugs too, they're AC Delco of course.
Wires, I changed as well when I did the plugs, especially since I accidentally tore one of them

I'll get it checked out beforehand though!

As far as the inspection goes, I am not entirely sure. Some places will pop in the scanner, then they'll do a visual inspection, followed by putting the car on one of those spinny things to simulate the car running?
I can't for the life of me thing of what its called.

EDIT: Before, I mistakenly said that I hadn't changed the rotor, I in fact did change it for an AL Delco replacement.

Last edited by Cinnamon; 02-20-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply: The Ever Dreaded P0420