2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front driveline rotating?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:45 PM
rrruschman is on a distinguished road
Default Front driveline rotating?

Should the driveline coming out of the transfer case to the front be rotating all the time?

Old 09-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Starting Member
jbsnowboarder16 is on a distinguished road

What are you driving? Generally yes, because of this you can "shift on the fly"

Old 09-19-2011, 09:55 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

from what i have found from the search function from this site, is that the 4 button np236 transfer case does turn all the time, so the front driveshaft will turn all the time, im not sure on the other transfer cases...

Old 09-20-2011, 06:35 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

it should turn all the time the front left wheel is turning as they are always connected. the right wheel will unlock from the diff when in 2hi and the transfercase will no longer drive the shaft.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:53 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With the NP236 (4-button) transfer case, the front output will always turn due to the preloaded clutch inside the transfer case.

The front left wheel being always connected & thereby causing the front driveshaft to spin is not entirely true. In an NV231 or NV233 transfer case, the front output does not really spin (condition/age/etc of the vehicle aside). The reason for this is that, with the passenger side shaft disconnected in the front axle, the spider gears inside the diff will spin, but there really isn't much motivation for the entire ring gear to spin when in 2HI with either of these transfer cases.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:32 AM

i stand corrected. good to know

Old 09-20-2011, 06:14 PM

Well I checked out the neighbors and his also spins all the time. Just tryin to figure out why that driveline is resting on the notch cutout thru the crossmember now. Started making noise and that is the only thing I see. You can see where its touching and a clean mark.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:17 PM

bad transmission mount? has the tranny ever been changed?

Last edited by coolasice; 09-20-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 PM

Ok so I just cant figure out why the driveline is rubbing on the the transmission crossmember. It looks like its slightly to the passenger side of the notch and it is rubbing on it. We did the transmission a month ago and you would think this should have done it right away. We put in a new tranny mount no difference. I dont think I put the transfer case on wrong cause it seems like it would be way up in the body then. Anybody got pics of that area?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 PM

is the shaft installed fully?

Quick Reply: Front driveline rotating?