2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front End Rumble

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Beginning Member
EXKid is on a distinguished road
Default Front End Rumble

Hi Everyone! I posted a newbie thread over in the new members section. I have a dilemma.

2001 Blazer 4door 4wd LT:

I just traded into my wifes Blazer (I had to trade my pickup in on a family car). We’ve had the vehicle for a few years it’s got 87K miles and it has given my some issues in the past. Most notably, transfer case got stuck in 4wd low a couple years ago. There have been other issues as well.
Now, there’s a rumble coming from the driver’s side front end when the vehicle rolls. It changes frequency depending on how fast I’m going. I’m thinking that it’s the CV axle, because it’s been doing it for some time (the wife was oblivious to the noise, just turn the radio up!), and if it was a wheel bearing I’d imagine it would’ve gotten much worse by now. I’m a little gun shy about taking it in again honestly wondering if it’s worth the money to keep it going. Any ideas?
I’ve heard that the front end on these blazers isn’t made with the most robust parts. Is this true? Can anything be done? I like to go up into the NC Mountains and go hiking and fishing and opted to keep this vehicle in the trade for this reason, 4wd is required on many of those roads.
Thanks in advance.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Beginning Member
hemivette is on a distinguished road

I just bought my wife a 97 Monte Carlo, and it had a noise comming from the right front. It sounded like a grinding or moaning that increased with speed. So I replaced the wheel bearing, and there was much improvement. Then I replaced the left one and all is silent. As far as the front end being weak, they pretty much have the same size parts as the fullsize pickups. But as we all know "things wear out". And big tires and are driving habits dictate how long are parts last. In my opinion Blazer's are one of the toughest SUV's on the market, once you fix whats wrong, you will have rig that will last a long time. You take care of it, and it will take care of you!