2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front End:Sqeaking and creaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:42 AM
Beginning Member
lemon blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front End:Sqeaking and creaking

My 2001 Blazer has developed a squeakin the front end onthe drivers side. Any time I hit the slightest bump or just drive over unevenor bumpypavement it squeaks like an old rocking chair going back and forth. Could it be the balljoint? If I grease it will it help, if it's the ball joint or with the squeaking already does that mean it's about to fail? Or could it be a bushing? Has anyone else had this problem with the squeaking front end and what did you find out? If not any help would be appreciated. I can only hear it at slow speeds under 60 km/h.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:47 AM
DlJr82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Front End:Sqeaking and creaking

If it was a ball joint you would here it when you turn because that is your pivot point. I'd look at the shocks first.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:38 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is probably a dry rubber bushing, a shock mount, control arm upper or lower or a front stablizer bushing...will it make noise if you are stopped and push up and down on the front bumper???

Old 02-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Beginning Member

Yes it will make the noise when the vehicle is parked. When pushing on the front end up or down or side to side you are able to hear the creak, creak. Which led me to believe it was a bushing or mount, but then I thought it could be the balljoint drying out.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have a spray can of silicone lubricant that I use it during my monthly checks to spray any of the rubber suspension components (and door seals consequently) to keep them from squeaking or dry rotting. Petroleum based lubricants will cause the rubber bushings to swell and soften while some others dry out the rubber. Any silicon based lubricant will work just fine.

I'd grab a can of silicon lubricant and liberally spray the suspension components. I'm betting that your sway bar bushings (on the frame) are the culprits, but just to be sure, spray them all down. You may have to do this a few times over the course of a week or two to get the lubricant into the tight areas.

Good luck!

Old 03-10-2007, 03:01 AM
drums1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I'm having the same problem with my 99 blazer.You can hear my car coming from a block away...it's killing me.I just bought it as well. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with it, or how to fix it? Did the silicone lubricant spray work? Where do you get that?

Old 03-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Beginning Member

I still haven't bought the spray yet. Funny thing the noise will stop whenever the truck is around my friend (who's a goodwrench mechanic). He jumped up and down on it shook it side to side and it would not make the noise. Then a day later it was creaking again, he said it probably sounds like something is drying out, as the other posters in this thread pointed out. I'm sure you can find the silicone spray at any autoparts store. That's where I'll be looking for mine.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:47 PM
2Tone is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 2000 Blazer LS. Blazers are know for balljoints going bad. ivehad toreplace all four balljoints on mine. but if they still look good and theres no play in them then i would try greasing them. you should grease them every 3000 to 6000 miles.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Annekat91 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem but in the rear, and I can only hear it in warm weather when the windows are down, or when pushing down on the rear bumper. It started after I had installed new Monroe Sensatrac shocks. Two mechanics have told me it is the shocks, that they are "defective" in that they squeak, but that they work, are mounted properly, and I don't really need to do anything. One mechanic put some chassis grease on them, which I guess Swartlkk says not to do, since I assume it is petroleum based, and which didn't really help anyway. I have silicone spray around, it is available anywhere that sells auto supplies, and I will try it when the weather gets warmer and drier. I already tried it on the leaf springs and their bushings, thinking that might be the problem, but it didn't help.

Anne
'91 2dr 4WD S-10 Blazer
155,000 miles or so

Old 03-19-2007, 06:18 AM
Beginning Member

I greased the ball joints on both sides and used the silicone spray on all the bushings and the creaking is gone. Again thanks for the help.

Funny thing when I had the wheels off I noticed a small oil leak coming out of the hatch where the filter goes. I just had my Blazer in for an oil change at the local dealership, to cold to do outside. Well the filter was leaking oil at the seal, they busted my hood latch, overfilled it with oil and didn't lube any of areas required. They will hear from me on Monday but it just goes to show if you want something done right, do it yourself if capable or REALLY TRUST your mechanics to perform the task right.

Quick Reply: Front End:Sqeaking and creaking