2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If I can do it, anyone can. I have hands and forearms even pop-eye would be envious of. You just have to use that thing between your ears.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:12 AM
mjt
Starting Member
mjt is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah I have one of those. Im a mechanical engineer so I know a good design from a piece of crap. If you design a tool to do the job then the tool should fit. Sorry Im not impressed. No need to insult me.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The job can be done MANY different ways. Just because you cannot do it how other people obviously have been able to do it doesn't make it any less possible, nor does it mean that the design is a "piece of crap". Being a mechanical engineer, I would think you would be able to adapt to whatever you are presented with. I know I can...

Not sure how much time you have spent in the engineering field, but I know that I can't stand when others criticize someone's design without taking into account why it was designed that way. Judging by your responses, it appears as though you think it was designed the way that it was just to **** the DIY'er off. As an aside, being the mechanical engineer that you are, re-engineering the connections to be more "you-friendly" should be well within your realm of capability would it not...? If you don't like it, change it.

And you do realize that you can pull one bolt to drop the fuel filter mounting bracket off the frame giving you TONS of access to all sides of the connection, don't you...? Also, the metal pliers type disconnect tools tend have a shorter cross section and often fit into locations that the plastic ones cannot, but I haven't tried my set on a fuel filter because it is easy to do it with two small screw drivers.

Again, it comes down to thinking and evaluating the job you have in front of you. If you take that as an insult, then it seems there maybe something wrong with the way you are approaching the situation. Getting frustrated with inanimate objects is just pointless and then to let your frustrations flow over to others who are sharing their first hand experience... Just plain inappropriate.

Oh and here's an image of the disconnect tools that are similar to what GM uses for the fuel pump(see attached image below - image courtesy of etoolcart.com item # OTC-7361) as I'm sure this will cause similar fits later on if you have to do this job (fuel pump). Notice the gate in the side of the tool that allows for it to slip over the body of the pump. Any generic plastic fuel line disconnect tool can be modified to mimic this.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Filter-otc-7361.jpg  
Old 06-03-2011, 08:08 AM
GunsOfNavarone is on a distinguished road

I changed my fuel filter Tuesday afternoon. Did the front release with no tools, just took my time and slowly pushed in the retaining clip, and turned it a little and released the other clip.

If you have not replaced one before, a bit akward especially because it is hard to see. But once one understands how it works, as long as one takes his time, actualy very easy.

The key to the fuel filter replacement is wearing safety googles as dirt will get in your eyes as you are on your back, a little PB blaster on the back of the filter, a drain container and a bunch of rags to keep the fuel from getting all over you and things and getting one pissed of.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Administrator

For any of the connections, a thorough cleaning should be done before attempting to disconnect the fitting. Compressed air (even a CO2 canister) works to dislodge any debris that may be up in the connector. A shot of WD40 can assist in getting the connection to release easily. It also helps to push the connector in rather than pull out on it while you are attempting to disengage the tabs.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:01 AM
mjt
Starting Member
mjt is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that picture of the OTC tool. Actually looks like it has potential for the fuel pump but wont work for the fuel filter. Been a design engineer for 25+ years. And I can turn a wrench too!! The blazer and GMs record is clear. I had a 1988 GTA that was plagued with the leaking intake manifold and finally blew the motor. Back then I was amazed GM had wrecked the 350 - best motor ever made. Here it is 10 years later 1999 blazer and GM motors still have intake manifold leaks. Oh yeah I did that job too. Alright I wont complain any further. I really think the forum is a great place to share everyones experience. It really is helpful.