2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel/Gas Gauge not working!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Starting Member
lionel2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel/Gas Gauge not working!!

Hello all, I have a 2000 Blazer 4x4 4dr. The gas gauge does not work. I already ran out of gas on the highway, dont want that to happen again. Any ideas what might be wrong and what need replaced?? I am pretty sure if I have to drop the fuel tank, that I will have to prolley replace the fuel pump assy, fuel tank straps, and maybe the fuel level sender connector and fuel pump connector. Will replacing the fuel pump solve my problem?? I heard the sender unit is in the fuel pump assy, this true? Or is there another part I need to get to make the gauge work right? I have never replaced the fuel pump or dropped the tank before. My blazer has 106,000 miles on it. Any other parts I should consider when I drop the tank? Thanks.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The fuel level sending unit can be replaced separately from the pump, but you have to do all of the same work (drop the tank, pull the pump, etc). It's your call as to whether you want to replace the whole pump at that point in time or not. An AC Delco or Delphi pump should come with a new connector (new design) for both the pump & sending unit that is more robust.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Starting Member

The sending unit is seperate from the fuel pump, correct? Should I get a Napa Brand or Delphi Brand fuel pump? I usually buy my parts from Napa. They have both the delphi and Napa brands there. Cannot find the sending unit part on Napa's webpage. What might the part number be? Fuel pump is about $350 to $400 for that. I would like to replace both the pump and sending unit. Which one of these fixes the fuel gauge problem, the fuel pump or sending unit or both? Thanks.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When you buy a pump, you get a new fuel level sending unit. The sending unit can be purchased separately without purchasing the pump though. As far as the part number, I know it has been covered before. A search for "sending+unit+part+number" might turn it up or you could go to RockAuto.com or ACDelco.com and go through their parts catalog.

I wouldn't recommend anything but AC Delco or Delphi if you were going to get the whole pump.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Starting Member

Ok, I will look at the AC or Delphi brands of pumps. I will make sure that the pump has the sending unit with it. Thanks.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Beginning Member
terbates is on a distinguished road

Take from one who went through this twice in 2 months, stay away from anything other than Delphi or Delco fuel sending units. My suggestion to you would to make sure you also use the wire harness supplement they give when you buy whatever unit and take your time when replacing the wires. Do a good job of crimping on the new 4 leads and you shouldn't have any problems. FYI, I use a hand siphon job I used to use for a kerosene heater and take off the main fill hose, drop the back strap and siphon the gas out. You don't need to buy new straps. The tank is plastic and it's not hard for one person to get under there and bolt it back on; though before you cinch up the back one, make your electrical and gas fitting connections first.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Starting Member

Hello, I was thinking of buying a Delphi Fuel Pump part number FG0052 for my 2000 Blazer 4 door. Is it a good idea to get one of these pumps on Amazon.com?? Its only $188 with free shipping. Is it the exact same part as the one at adanced or Napa auto parts?? Now, this part does come with the sending unit, correct? What does a sending unit look like? And how would I know that the fuel pump comes with the sending unit? Thanks.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Administrator

For the 98+ trucks, all quality (AC Delco / Delphi) and even some of the not so quality pumps come with the sending unit. It is the arm that comes out of the side of the pump with the float attached to it.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Starting Member

Thats what I thought it was from reading other posts. But, is Amazon.com reliable for buying auto parts like a fuel pump? They have a delphi FG0052 for $188 its new and in original box. But, I am a little skeptical and wondering why its so cheap. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Dan 128 is on a distinguished road

I bought my Blazers AC/Delco spyder injectors through Amazon and saved big bucks on the same part sold at the parts stores and dealers for more $$$. Also picked up a Delphi fuel pump for my 98 GMC there and save big $$$ also. Lately I've been buying my parts from a dealer supplier that sells their parts just as cheap as online stores.
Bills Battery if you live in Cinn. OH.
Good luck!!

Quick Reply: Fuel/Gas Gauge not working!!