Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Fuel gauge points down after LIM gasket replacement (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/fuel-gauge-points-down-after-lim-gasket-replacement-68114/)

ckirv 02-18-2012 07:06 AM

Fuel gauge points down after LIM gasket replacement

2001 Blazer LT 4.3.

I replaced the Lower intake manifold gasket last weekend and now the fuel gauge points down to 5 oclock. Did I miss something while putting it back together?
Any ideas? Thanks

pettyfog 02-18-2012 08:21 AM

1. always

2. just when key on

3. where is it key-off?

photos would help

What NON-SOCKET connections did you change? Did you remove grounds on back of engine?

What else doesnt work right?

wyzardd 02-18-2012 10:36 AM

Mine does that occasionally if the battery has been disconnected for more than a few seconds. Nearly tore the dash apart trying to fix it the first time. Disconnecting the battery again, then letting it run for a bit (ignition on might be enough) took care of it.

I never did catch it in the act of getting better. I looked at it gleefully pointing down, muttered a few curses, then look back a while later and it's sitting there all casual like nothing was ever wrong.

ckirv 02-18-2012 12:11 PM

It is like that when the key is off or when running. The needle in the dash points to about 5 oclock.

I've only had it running a few minutes so far. Started it up and let it run a few minutes then shut it down to change the oil (then stripped the drain plug). So now I just have to refill it with oil and drive it.

I changed the LIM gasket, valve cover gaskets, plug wires and distributor cap. No plug/electrical connections.

pettyfog 02-18-2012 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ckirv (Post 498781)
It is like that when the key is off or when running. The needle in the dash points to about 5 oclock.

I've only had it running a few minutes so far. Started it up and let it run a few minutes then shut it down to change the oil (then stripped the drain plug). So now I just have to refill it with oil and drive it.

I changed the LIM gasket, valve cover gaskets, plug wires and distributor cap. No plug/electrical connections.

Then I suggest it was 'shocked' around into that position. And this may be the answer.. that or a good rap on its face.

Originally Posted by wyzardd (Post 498766)
Mine does that occasionally if the battery has been disconnected for more than a few seconds. Nearly tore the dash apart trying to fix it the first time. Disconnecting the battery again, then letting it run for a bit (ignition on might be enough) took care of it.

I never did catch it in the act of getting better. I looked at it gleefully pointing down, muttered a few curses, then look back a while later and it's sitting there all casual like nothing was ever wrong.

walleye seeker 02-19-2012 12:07 PM

i just did the same project mine did the same thing a good couple raps on the cluster face and it popped right around and is working fine