2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 12:20 AM
Beginning Member
dardamar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel pump issues?

1996 Blazer. 4.3 liter. 201,300 miles. This morning I went outside to start the Blazer to hook up my trailer as I am moving. So I get the trailer backed up into the driveway. An hour or so later I go out to start it again and it wouldn't start!! Did not hear the fuel pump running at all. So I then tested the fuel pressure and it was at zero psi. After about 6 hours it still didnt start. Pushed it into garage and then noticed the distributor cap was loose so took off the cap to look at it and it looked fine. Put cap back on andthen I could here the fuel pump runningand it started??? Fuel pressure is now at 62 psi after I turn on the key. It starts fine. When running the pressure is at 53 psi. Wondering why it would do this. Is it possible there was a bad connection in the oil pressure sending unit as I believe when the oil pressure drops to a certain point then it cuts power to the fuel pump maybe I wiggled the wire on the oil sending unit while putting the cap back on.

Or can it happen where the fuel pump can not run for awhile for whatever reason and then just start running again. I do not know when and if this pump was ever replaced.

Thanks for any info or personal experiance advice.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:57 AM
mrafindley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Fuel pump issues?

The problem is your ignition switch not the key switch but the ignition switch in the column. I promise you! I have owned many 95-97 blazers and had to do it to everyone of them

Old 12-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Beginning Member

Anyone else have any other opinion on this.......anyone??

Old 12-14-2008, 03:11 PM

They are going to tell you the same thing why do you ask if you don't want the answers?

Old 12-14-2008, 03:39 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

At this point there's just not enough evidence to declare the problem to be with the ignition switch or any other specific cause. Not to say the switch isn't bad, but I don't see anything in the original post to make a definite declaration. I understand the desire to fix a problem before it can occur again, but I think I would just wait. If there is not another occurance, then good. If it happens again, let us know the exact symptoms and evidence and we will go from there.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:48 PM

Dude next time it happens be a little rough with your ignition switch on and off and when you turn it to the crank position turn it real hard. I am confident it is your ignition switch and if it ain't i would reinburse the money for the switch. There is no way a loose cap and stuff fixed your problem. I was stranded 5 times and 4 fuel pumps for the same thing same exact thing After I replaced the switch I have had no problems what so ever for over 2 years.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Beginning Member

Well the problem was the fuel pump, not the ignition switch. good thing I went with my gut feeling and changed the fuel pump instead of the switch.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you! The pump is more often the problem, but it would suck to spend $200+ only to find out that some more testing could have told you the pump was still good...