Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Fuel Pump Needing Replaced - HELP! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/fuel-pump-needing-replaced-help-13587/)

LittleT 10-11-2007 07:01 AM

Fuel Pump Needing Replaced - HELP!

I'm getting conflicting reports from some people: Some say that the tank does not need to be fully dropped to replace the fuel pump/sending unit in the tank on my '97 4.3L. Some are saying that YES, it does need to be fully dropped? Some say it's easy, some say it's hard.

Is this gonna be a pain in the butt? Even with a tank below 1/2?

swartlkk 10-11-2007 07:05 AM

RE: Fuel Pump Needing Replaced - HELP!

Gasonline weighs roughly 6lbs per gallon. The more you can get out of the tank, the easier it will be.

As far as removing the fuel pump, you do it in stages. You have to support the tank with a jack or pair of jacks. Remove the straps. Lower it down just enough to get access to the hoses and electrical connections on top and disconnect them all (including the filler neck). Then drop it down the rest of the way to remove the fuel pump. The fuel pump assembly is not all that short... I will take some clearance to get it all the way out.

Hope this helps!

LittleT 10-11-2007 08:10 AM

Thanks! I hope to attempt it this weekend when the part arrives!

drperry 10-11-2007 08:20 AM

I've heard of people cutting a hole in the floor, over the fuel tank/pump...

But you'd have to know where all the wires are run through, and exactly where the pump is, or you could have a lot of cutting to do...

muleman 10-11-2007 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: drperry

I've heard of people cutting a hole in the floor, over the fuel tank/pump...

But you'd have to know where all the wires are run through, and exactly where the pump is, or you could have a lot of cutting to do...
i would not ever ever ever do that unless it is for off-road use only...

drperry 10-11-2007 06:38 PM

My old Z34 came from the factory with a plate under the trunk liner for changing the fuel pump...

EvilPotato 10-13-2007 12:49 AM

i replaced my fuel pump a month ago. i didn't have to completely remove the tank but i did have to drop it down some to get the old pump out. the hose that connects the filler neck and the tank is a pain to remove so you might have to cut it. i skimped out on the fuel pump and got one of those ebay ones for $90 shipped. about 1000 miles now and so far so good.

00 ZR2 10-16-2007 01:48 PM

That's what I did! Then screwed down a sheet metal cover, put the carpet back down, never know it's there.

blazinblack 10-17-2007 09:45 AM

[align=left]i have done them both ways cutting a hole and dropping the tank its up to you and if you cut a whole make sure you put a piece of something over the tank so you dont cut into it but its not to bad i just hope since you bought a cheap pump after all the work it doesnt go out on you after 5000 miles
[/align][align=left] [/align]