2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Pump Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 02:25 PM
chevygulr84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel Pump Question

Okay, my Fuel Pump went out the day before X-mas Eve with my entire family in the car, and is still sitting inthe exact place it stopped. I've called every parts store I can find, as well as looked around everywhere online and cannot seem to find one for under $200.00!! (seem right??)
Well, I finally came across one on Ebay for a total of $93.00 (with freight) and bought, however the seller says the harness and pressure regulator isn't included - are these things I will without a doubt need? I know I can find the harness for relatively cheap at autozone or similar store, but the pressure regulator is what concerns me - can anybody tell me if i will def. need and if so where I can find cheap??

All shops want a minimum of $280.00 in labor costs and unfortunately I am unable to change myself (due to lack of knowledge and tools) so this is a relatively expensive repair for me..... unless there are some REALLY good directions....with pictures posted.

Thanks to all!

Old 12-25-2008, 02:44 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Fuel Pump Question

If you would put your vehicle information into your signature (see mine as an example), it would be easier to answer questions for you.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:48 PM

Sorry. It's a 96 Blazer 4WD S-10 (not full size).
4.3 L (of course) and a 4 door.

Also forgot to mention that we know it's fuel related. My hubby sprayed some carb. cleaner into the manifold and it started for about 10 seconds, then died again telling us it's fuel related. We bought the Fuel filter a few weeks ago, but can't seem to get it loose then this happened - it started spitting and sputtering and gears started like "not working" and it finally stopped in a small parking lot about 15 miles from our house. It tries to turn over, but obviously can't.
Anybosy have any advice on either please answer - meaning either the question above, or the process of changing the fuel filter, or what tools are needed.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:59 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I advise to stay away from the pumps you see on Ebay unless you want to be changing it out again in the future. As has been discussed many times, the AC/Delco pumps (though costly) are the ones that work best. Take a look at RockAutoand see what they have for your truck. The fuel pressure regulator is not part of the pump, it's under the intake plenum of the engine. To determine whether it's the pump or the FPR, you need to run a pressure test as described in several posts. The wiring harness is not necessarily replaced along with the pump unless you want to, or if it is proven to be needed.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:07 PM

Pump is an AC/Delco! brand new in box just w/out harness and pressure sensor..sorry not regulator.
Is the sensor absolutely needed to change the fuel pump?
as I mentioned before.... this is a very pricey repair for us, and we had no coice but to find a "cheap" pump. With labor at $280.00 alone another 250.00 for parts wasn't an option.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that it is truly an AC Delco pump. For it not to include the pressure sensor and the harness does not make any sense though. AC Delco pumps contain everything necessary to hook the pump up. The price seems WAY too good to be true... Again, I hope for your sake that it is and that everything works out in your favor.

Put it this way, would you rather pay $250 for the parts and $280 for the labor or pay $93 for the parts, $280 for the labor, then $250 for the parts and $280 for the labor to have it done correctly...

Anyway, there are some other tests that I would do prior to condemning the pump. Testing for power at the pump at the bare minimum to make sure that the power is actually getting there. A fuse, relay, or wiring issue can cause these same symptoms.