2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Raybz is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel pump question?

My fuel pump is crapping out....need to whack the tank to get it started most times. I know it's a matter of time till it won't go even after a whack.

I called my parts guy to get a new one and he said which one? There are 3 types that go in that truck....which one do you have? He says there is a 3 letter code on the pump, which of course is mounted in the tank. Is there a way to find out without dropping the tank to look?

Its a 1997 Blazer LS, 4.3, 4 door

Old 03-15-2013, 01:52 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

DELPHI Part # FG0071

Old 03-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Starting Member
Spree is on a distinguished road

When mine went out it was (98 4x4), if I had a metal tank or plastic tank and that dictated which pump I needed. Of coarse I had the metal tank with the more expensive pump. Purchased from rockauto.com.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:27 AM
Piski1982 is on a distinguished road

The only diferences I know of is rear mounted tank or left side mounted tank. The other diferance is if it has a fuel tank pressure sensor or not. Little tip dont go cheap on the pump get a delphi or a AC Delco. Also make sure to replace fuel filter, that is probably the reason the original pump failed.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Starting Member
Spree is on a distinguished road

I went with the Airtex pump. Been in for about 3 years now and no problems.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:24 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Spree
I went with the Airtex pump. Been in for about 3 years now and no problems.
Wow, you are extremely fortunate for it to last that long...

OP, dont take his airtex lasting 3 years as a reason to get one yourself, this is just pure luck, and i think witch craft that it has lasted that long.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:58 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

On a 2 door, the tank is steel and it's mounted behind the rear axle. On the OP's 4 door, the tank is in front of the rear axle, inside the left frame rail, and it could be steel or plastic. All 3 have fuel tank pressure sensors.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:29 PM
Beginning Member
schrack is on a distinguished road

My airtex has been in my Jimmy for 6 yrs, no problems just swapped thinking it was the problem, but it wasn't, was my distributor causing the surging.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Raybz is on a distinguished road

Ordered a Delphi from Rock Auto Should be here tomorrow
Installing Friday God willing!

Old 04-03-2013, 02:09 PM
browndog77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Was it the pump?

First post on this issue for me. My '97 4 dr. let me down for the first time ever this week. (since new!) I am reading all the fuel issue posts I can find, and the majority seem to make the case for lots of testing for proper pressure and injector problems. Then there are those that urge pump replacement only. About 30% of those seem to turn out to not have been pump failures at all. I guess the testing is the way to go, rather than shell out $100+ for a pump I may not need. What sucks is that like so many others, my gauge is totally unreliable, so the first thing I tried when I got stranded was a push to the station and a fill-up! Now I have 18 gal of gas to deal with if I need to drop the tank! I am hoping for pump ground wire corrosion to be the culprit, but with so many other problems in this age vehicle, I am not confident. Would love to hear back from Raybz about his '97 before I start!

Quick Reply: Fuel pump question?