2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Grease leak???

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 02:09 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default Grease leak???

2002 4 dr 4wd; on the left side there is a coating of grease that looks like it has been thrown out of the CV boot at the wide end. Either that or grease is coming from the inner tie rod end, hits the spinning CV joint and is then thrown around in a circle around the CV joint onto the frame/control arm...just like it was leaking from CV boot. There is actually not much on the axle itself....it has all been thrown off.

I have checked and checked and there are no splits in the CV boot. There is no apparent leak from the front diff where the axle enters either.

Anyone have any ideas on this one? Is it the inner tie rod end leaking? I have squeezed the rubber tie rod end boot, but no grease came out. Of course it is not hot from the engine or aything.

Thanks to all.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:54 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

what color is the grease that is spinning out?
mine was a greyish color when mine did this.
what happened is the boot slipped off and when driving the forces on the cv shaft with heat....combine to loosen up the boot and spin the grease out.
did you do a torsion bar crank at all? thats what caused mine.
how i fixed it was to remove the factory clamp and then place a jack under the lower control arm then jacked up the arm till the cv boot was close to level all the way across. then i braced the vehicle...slid the boot back and cleaned the surfaces as best i could. then took (1) grease pack...autozone sells them for couple of bucks. squeezed that into boot. then i put on a large adjustable clamp and tightened it down.
i know it will look like it wont clear but it will...i have ran mine like this for couple of years now....never a day of trouble with it.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:09 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this a full-time 4X4? What could you possibly mean by stating an inner tie-rod "leak"?
Most every unit has a worm & roller,ball joint front suspension-regardless of 2X4 or 4X4! Tie rods don't leak-they fail! But they have no issue in power transmission-except for control of the vehicle itself! Make sure you are looking at the correct components!
Best of Luck to You!

Old 09-04-2011, 04:28 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default Responses to post #1

The grease is a brownish...grayish color.
I have not touched the torsion rods.
I would agree it was the CV boot, if it was off, but it is not...seems as tight as ever.
I could see how the CV boot could come off and then sling grease, but I do not see how the boot could go back on. And I have cleaned this area twice now...so whatever is happening....it is still doing it.

No this is not a full-time 4wd....in fact hardly ever in 4wd.
By inner tie rod end leak...I was referring to the grease boot on the tie rod end.
Worm and roller....you must be referring to the steering box.,??
Tie rod ends are tight, no joint failure at least. (That would not be fun at all)....