2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Headlight aiming issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:03 PM
bman416 is on a distinguished road
Default Headlight aiming issues

Another question from Bman. I seemed to have aimed the LOW beam just fine for both sides. But when you click for HIGH beams, the passenger side points to the ground about 6-8 feet in front of the vehicle and the drivers side seems fine. Adjust the passenger side headlight on HIGH beam and then click back to LOW beam, the passenger side is way off in the sky. What the hell?

I'm starting to think this vehicle was in a fender bender but was not on the GM VIN number report my buddy gave me. Also, the passenger side light seems a little dimmer than the drivers side. What gives besides being completely out of whack? Thank you.

Brian

Old 09-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Beginning Member
jamesbalzer is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure that the bulb in question is firmly installed all the way into the socket.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:55 PM
patrickw45 is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem. I have spent way too much time in the Garage troubleshooting this and still can find a logical reason why the driver side light will shine straight down on low, Into the sky on high an just the opposite on the passenger side.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Bent or improperly inserted bulbs. The only other alternative to that is the housings are messed up because there is no independent adjustment between the beams on the composite headlamp assemblies.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

What year is it? If it is a second gen, make SURE that both the tabs are installed all the way into the slots. Don't just look, pull both headlight assemblies out and reinstall to make sure. Most people swear they have them in correctly when the lights won't align only to find out one or both are installed incorrectly.

Don't know if its the same on first gens, though.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the low beam is really low and the high beam is really high, it isn't a headlight tab issue. That would cause both to be high.