2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Headlight flashing between being "on" and "off" after a while

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Headlight flashing between being "on" and "off" after a while

ORIGINAL: rewj
Thanks for the response, it is a 1996 Blazer. The buzz comes from the glovebox relay bay, there is one under the dash that I can check?
I'm experiencing the same exact problem, except that mine started happening after I replaced my sealed-beam headlights with an H4 kit. The lights look great, but now they randomly flash off and on. However, I think my problem is due to the fact that I spliced that extra tan (not green) wire on the driver's side, which I still haven't figured out what it's for. It could also be that one of the bulbs is defective. I plan to pull the grille in the next couple of days and check both things.

My truck is also a '96, and the clicking noise is coming from the same place, under the glove box. I have discovered that there are quite a few differences between the '94-97 trucks and the '98-04s, so this may be another one. Bear in mind that a lot of 98+ owners may give you advice based on their trucks that won't apply to yours, even though their intentions are in the right place.

I'm not sure I'd buy the answer from the dealer that it's the PCM (I think that's what you meant), seeing as the high cost of replacing it could be their motivation for telling you that. I'd definitely get a second opinion before replacing it. Good luck!

Old 12-19-2007, 03:55 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

The headlight relay could be under the dash, yeah...

Psychro, why did you splice in another wire with your H4 conversion? It should've plugged right in...

Old 12-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: drperry

The headlight relay could be under the dash, yeah...

Psychro, why did you splice in another wire with your H4 conversion? It should've plugged right in...
It should've, but it didn't. First, the prongs did not match up, even though the seller said it would. Second, there was an extra tan wire on the driver's side, and it was unclear what it was for. I asked people here, but nobody knew. My Haynes manual didn't tell me, and even my mechanic didn't know -- so of course I winged it. I'll keep trying different things until it works.

Click here for more details.