2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Heat ony when accelerating/ antifreeze leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Starting Member
dougruss3 is on a distinguished road

Hi...I'm new here and just wanted to share a little input as i worked on quite a few blazers like ours where i used to work. It could possibly be the heater core even if the carpet is dry...it could be leaking enough to weep out of the drain tube which is right above the area where he said the leak was found...seen this many many times before

Old 02-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Ndtucker is on a distinguished road

Targetbuilder, that was all done last summer. :-)

Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 PM

Dougruss 3, The mechanic says he hasn't seen that in my truck. But it's somehow heater core related. They think it is leaking into the heater core box. I am about to post an update below.

Last edited by Ndtucker; 02-27-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Default Update....

I took my blazer to the mechanic at the beginning of the week. They put dye in the coolant and in the oil (have an oil leak as well). They think the coolant is leaking into the heater core box and that is the reason we cannot visibly see the leak. Bad news, we have to take the dash out. They also found an oil leak which they believe to be coming from one of the seals. I have to return in a couple of days to view if or where we see any dye.

I found out I needed new front and rear brakes. So I got those, an oil change, and greased the ball joints. My windshield also leaks which needs to be repaired. My doorpins that I replaced last summer are also bad and need to be replaced again. I plan to ask if there are doorpins that were a bit thicker or more heavy duty.

Last edited by Ndtucker; 02-27-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ndtucker
I took my blazer to the mechanic at the beginning of the week. They put dye in the coolant and in the oil (have an oil leak as well). They think the coolant is leaking into the heater core box and that is the reason we cannot visibly see the leak. Bad news, we have to take the dash out. They also found an oil leak which they believe to be coming from one of the seals. I have to return in a couple of days to view if or where we see any dye.

I found out I needed new front and rear brakes. So I got those, an oil change, and greased the ball joints. My windshield also leaks which needs to be repaired. My doorpins that I replaced last summer are also bad and need to be replaced again. I plan to ask if there are doorpins that were a bit thicker or more heavy duty.

I've got some dye in my cooling system too to try and find an intermitant leak. It will go for a long time and not lose any coolant then lose it all in a gush. The intake looks to have been resealed recently. I'm waiting for it to cut loose again so maybe I can find the leak.

On the hinge pins, what did you lubricate them with? I usually use a little engine oil but 3 in 1 motor oil will work too. You do NOT want to use WD-40. It's great for drying the inside of the distributor cap, that's what it was designed for. It's also a really good cutting oil and I use it when I'm machining metal blocks. That's why you don't use it to lubricate load bearing bearings such as a door pin. Dust gets in there and wallows the bushings out.