2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Highway Misfire Under Load 50+ MPH

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 01:42 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Anyone have a 1998-2000 5.7 V8 in a pickup that could compare the Torque Pro CMP retard formulas to a higher end scanner? Trying to figure out if the 0.063 formula is for the V8 or not. Another possibility is that the 1996-97 PIDs are different formula. I know that Car Diagnostic Pro only works for GM enhanced PIDs back to 1998. It will connect to 1996-97 Blazers, but only as a generic and will only display basic PIDs.

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-02-2023 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2023, 01:11 PM
StormBlazerJon is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Here is my Blazer (CMP Retard idling - one read after another):

Torque Pro 0.063 = -2.6
Torque Pro 0.024 = -1.0
Car Diagnostic Pro STD PID = -0.9
Car Diagnostic Pro alternate PID = -2.7
Dash Command = -0.9
Vident i-Link 400 Hand Held = -1 (no tenths shown)

I trust the Dash Command and Vident single CMP value the most because they presumably filter their PIDs and make you pay extra for the GM ones. I think I may have been mistakenly telling people to use the alternate when in Car Diagnostic Pro (when in fact it was the two alternate PIDs for the misfire counters that should be used). In any case if you can get (probably with difficulty) the alternate CMP retard in Car Diagnostic Pro down below 2.0 you are really close to zero.

Looks like the Torque Pro formula works fairly well. Thanks for that! Why don't you put the 0.024 formula in a post again and title it "Torque Pro Custom CMP Retard (Cam Sensor Retard) Formula for Blazer V6". I'll make it a sticky in this forum and once it hits Google you will be forever famous!

Was you the guy that I worked with a while back who couldn't get other apps to work?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Car Diagnostic Pro

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dash Command:

Torque Pro with Formulas:
Thanks for diving a bit deeper into this. It would also appear to me that 0.024 is the right multiplier for the V6! I've been driving the blazer for a few days with 0 felt misfires. Runs better than ever! I believe adjusting the CMP retard was a simple and easy fix to what seemed like a complicated issue, so I am glad you spotted that and was able to help.

I dont think you've worked with me on the app issues before, I'm fairly new on here. My auto instructor a couple of years ago was a former GM tech, and he was super knowledgeable. Since then I've joined up here, and it's helped tremendously!

As for why they are not working, I'm not sure. I was always able to see the add-on GM PIDs, but as soon as I connected the car, they would vanish. Disconnected the car, and they reappear. The cycle goes on. Got tired of it and got a refund, went back to TorquePro and started there. Glad that worked! I'll get the formula in another post later today. Thanks for your help!

Old 07-07-2023, 05:16 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Glad things worked out!