2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Hopefully a simple ac question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 PM
mulhall34 is on a distinguished road
Default Hopefully a simple ac question

I have recently bought a 1996 blazer with the 4.3l. Has 153k miles runs great. knew the ac was in need of at least a recharge. I finally had the chance to work on it since its not an everyday driver, i replaced the low pressure cutoff and filled it with a can of 134. I knew it was really low when it took halfway through the can for the clutch to finally engage. I kept an eye on the pressure and it topped out at 25 still not really cold, ive heard that it could be pretty low, is it possible that the system could be so low that it might take 2 cans of 134 to do the trick?

Thanks, any response will be greatly appreciated

Old 08-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

2 cans is not unheard of, but I would bet there is a leak that will drain the system again. If you aren't putting in refrigerant with leak stop & fluorescent dye in it, you should be.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:02 PM

I put in some refer with stop leak and dye in so i could check on it periodically for leaks. I thought it might take 2 cans because before i filled it the first time there was no reading. I might try to throw in another can tommorrow to see if that makes it any cooler. if not im fine with the temp right now.

Thanks for the the input

Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Beginning Member
737mechanic is on a distinguished road

swartlkk Does the stop leak actually work?

You should definitely add some dye and buy a UV light and check it a few days later. You will have better luck seeing the dye at night or in a garage with the lights out.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:21 PM

Well im about to see if the stop leak works. i bought some refer with dye in it. already have a uv light. I plan on driving it tonight and see what i can find in a few days. I will say that i put a half of a can in today and it was frigid inside. So hopefully it was just bone dry one the refer. But thanks agan to everyone that gave thier input and i will be sure to get back on here and let you guys know if it worked or not.

thanks again

Old 08-24-2010, 07:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have never had stop leak actually work, but I just stated 'stop leak & florescent dye' because they come together.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Beginning Member
737mechanic is on a distinguished road

sawrtlkk I was hoping they finally made some stop leak that worked but I guess not.

You can also buy a can of 134A with dye in it or just a shot of dye by itself with its own injector.

If the 1996 is the same as the 1997 you probably have a harrison HT6 compressor which is the OEM compressor and it is probably leaking at the body seals. If you decide to replace the compressor check the compressor mounting bracket and make sure it is not warped at all. Even .005 or .010 will cause the compressor to eventually leak. If the mount is warped you will need to true it before installing your new compressor.

And do NOT get another harrison compressor instead get a Sanden HT6. The sanden has all four of the mounting holes going through a one piece body and will prevent it from twisting and causing the seals to leak. Plus the sanden is a much more realiable compressor.

For more info on this google "HT6 Belly Leaker" or "HT6 body seals leak"

Last edited by 737mechanic; 08-24-2010 at 09:34 PM.