2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Houston we have a problem!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 10:23 AM
Starting Member
thaoldman78 is on a distinguished road
Angry Houston we have a problem!!!!

Well here goes NOTHING!

I have a 4dr 2wd 1999 blazer, 4.3L, 155K miles.

I go to start the car, maybe 3 of 5 times it will start right up and we have a nice day, other times it just turns over and sounds like it is trying to start, at which time I MUST and DO SPRAY CARBURATOR CLEANER into the intake plenum between air cleaner and the main intake. One good spray and she fires right up and runs just fine.

Sometimes even when hot I MUST and DO SPRAY CARBURATOR CLEANER into the intake plenum between air cleaner and the main intake, once again runs fine!

I had a new fuel filter installed several days a go, the old one was somewhat clogged but pretty clear maybe 75% +++ clear.

I can only hope someone else has the same or similar problem and will share the potential remedy.

78 year old man on FIXED INCOME AND I SIMPLY DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY to put it in a $100 per hour shop, END OF STORY!

HELP PLEASE!

Old 09-07-2019, 12:57 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Carb cleaner and not starter fluid?

Maybe the fuel pump is going out and the time it takes to do the carb spray is all it needs to work again?

With fuel delivery issues, the first thing people check is the fuel pressure. Auto parts stores can rent/let you borrow a fuel pressure gauge that goes on a fitting on the fuel lines that go to the fuel injectors. There are threads on this here and also likely videos demonstrating how to do this check and what pressures you should be reading and for how long the pressures should be retained by the system.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:11 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Try this: when you go to start the Blazer, turn the key to ON, not START, wait 3 sec, turn key to OFF, then turn key to ON, not START, wait 3 sec...do this one more time and then after the 3 sec, turn key to START....see if any difference.
If so, then probably fuel pump is weak. If no difference, well....back to troubleshooting...

Old 09-13-2019, 08:45 AM
Starting Member
Roller is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by thaoldman78
Well here goes NOTHING!

I have a 4dr 2wd 1999 blazer, 4.3L, 155K miles.

I go to start the car, maybe 3 of 5 times it will start right up and we have a nice day, other times it just turns over and sounds like it is trying to start, at which time I MUST and DO SPRAY CARBURATOR CLEANER into the intake plenum between air cleaner and the main intake. One good spray and she fires right up and runs just fine.

Sometimes even when hot I MUST and DO SPRAY CARBURATOR CLEANER into the intake plenum between air cleaner and the main intake, once again runs fine!

I had a new fuel filter installed several days a go, the old one was somewhat clogged but pretty clear maybe 75% +++ clear.

I can only hope someone else has the same or similar problem and will share the potential remedy.

78 year old man on FIXED INCOME AND I SIMPLY DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY to put it in a $100 per hour shop, END OF STORY!

HELP PLEASE!

Any luck yet?
Here is my 2 cents:
I agree it sounds like a weak fuel pump.
Double check grounds, if not grounding good it may run erratically or not at all
Was the fuel filter change before or after the problem started? Could be a piece of crud got on the wrong side of fuel filter when it was changed...
Tank of bad gas... Try Star Tron fuel stabilizer...
Might help to remove and clean MAF sensor.
I would check at least 1 spark plug and wiggle all plug wires. A poor connection / dirty/ worn spark plug or plugged air filter could all contribute.
Does it sound like engine is turning over at normal speed, or a little slow? Trying another battery, and ESPECIALLY cleaning battery cables can help mysteries go away.

Let us know what you find.