2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How do I remove the front driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Beginning Member
stephensh is on a distinguished road

I was working on the transfer case motor last week and this caught my eye.
I put a pry bar between the shaft and transfer case and turned it out towards the side as opposed to pushing on it. The shaft popped out after I built enough nerve to go for it. The front u-joint is simple to replace and costs under $25.00. The u-joint caps popped off sooner than I could react and it was easier to replace than finding needle (bearings) in a hay stack. The encoder motor bolts are thread lock soaked and tough to turn by hand.

Last edited by stephensh; 10-19-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:22 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stephensh
I was working on the transfer case motor last week and this caught my eye.
I put a pry bar between the shaft and transfer case and turned it out towards the side as opposed to pushing on it. The shaft popped out after I built enough nerve to go for it. The front u-joint is simple to replace and costs under $25.00. The u-joint caps popped off sooner than I could react and it was easier to replace than finding needle (bearings) in a hay stack. The encoder motor bolts are thread lock soaked and tough to turn by hand.
funny, i coulda swore i saw that posted up there already.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Beginning Member
mnmetalhead is on a distinguished road

well, work keeps getting in the way of me doing this but I will try it tonight. Does the shaft pop back in pretty easily? I already have the bolts out of the transfer case motor because I was hoping that I wouldnt have to remove the shaft. Nothing is ever easy on this truck!

Old 10-20-2009, 04:44 PM
vrryder is on a distinguished road

I just redone my tcm too. I found once i got it out it was no problem at all getting it back together.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:54 AM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

The shaft will pop back on easily then just bolt up the u-joint

Old 10-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Beginning Member

Okay guys! I appreciate all of the help so far but I have one last issue. I got the shaft off just fine but now I have to put the new tccm on but it is in a different position than the pin is on my transfer case. How do I get them to match properly? can I turn the pin or the rotor that the pin fits into on the motor? Thanks guys!

Old 10-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can rotate the shift sector shaft in the transfer case to match the positioning of the new encoder motor. DO NOT attempt to turn the motor.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:46 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You can rotate the shift sector shaft in the transfer case to match the positioning of the new encoder motor. DO NOT attempt to turn the motor.
good to know. i've never had the pleasure of changing the encoder, but you never know when it could go.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Starting Member
cronca is on a distinguished road

I am in the process of doing the same thing to my 2003 trailblazer. I got the 4 bolts out, pryed it out the yoke and am having a pain in the butt getting it out of the transfer case. So if I just pry it, it should work from the shield and t-case? Ok here goes nothing.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cronca
I am in the process of doing the same thing to my 2003 trailblazer. I got the 4 bolts out, pryed it out the yoke and am having a pain in the butt getting it out of the transfer case. So if I just pry it, it should work from the shield and t-case? Ok here goes nothing.
Yeah.......It doesn't feel like it will come out but it does. Once you start prying, it will pop right out. Good luck!

Quick Reply: How do I remove the front driveshaft?