2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

HVAC cases deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Beginning Member
mike 77 is on a distinguished road
Default HVAC cases deteriorating

Good day. New guy on the forum. Working on a 95 blazer 4D. Had this truck since new.. I am dealing with the evap housing coming apart. I searched your site but didn't find a lot on the topic. i am sure some of you have had this problem before and could point me in the right direction.
I bought a new GM upper case #52470839. I am trying to find the discontinued lower case #52478294. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Mike

Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 PM
Beginning Member

Well I put he word "crumbling" in to the search and came up with a bunch of old info on the cases. Still looking for that part . It might be wishful thinking by the sounds of things.

Mike

Old 04-30-2013, 12:53 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

The one in my old '95 just kept crumbling and crumbling....large pieces would just fall off. I tried using RTV once to hold the pices together...worked for a while.
Sold the '95 and bought a '02....and it is beginning to do the same. Whatever material GM made the boxes out of....was not a good choice.....well except to sell parts!

If you find all the parts....let us know.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the reply LannyL81.
I have purchased all the parts from GM Canada except the bottom outer case #52478294. I have looked in a lot of places. Still hunting. I WILL find one, someday!! LOL
Plus finding obsolete parts is half the fun. I restored my 77 Oldsmobile. Some parts I looked for a year or more. It like a treasure hunt.

Mike

Old 05-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Starting Member
scottl1346 is on a distinguished road

in my manual for my 96 blazer if you want to change the blower or heater resister you have to smash the outside box apart to change it. there should be an inside box and an outside the outside is made to crumble idk why Gm even put it there but its nothing to worry about

Old 05-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

i take it that you are talking about the cover on the air box that is in the engine bay?
if thats it, you dont NEED that cover. its not going to hurt anything that i know of. you might be able to put some high temp paint on the lower one to keep it from falling completely apart. but its mostly just providing an air gap so that the A/C works better.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

In the factory shop manual it instructs you to cut the housing to replace the blower motor and/or blower resistor. It also says to reinstall the pieces & seal them after the repair. The black plastic housing, (upper and lower) is the housing for the evaporator, (part of the ductwork). All HVAC airflow is directed through the evaporator in all modes except heat & vent. If you want the airflow to enter the passenger compartment, you need the pieces and both housing halves installed and sealed.

EDIT: http://www.newgmparts.com/parts/1999...agramCallOut=7

Last edited by Captain Hook; 05-01-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
In the factory shop manual it instructs you to cut the housing to replace the blower motor and/or blower resistor. It also says to reinstall the pieces & seal them after the repair. The black plastic housing, (upper and lower) is the housing for the evaporator, (part of the ductwork). All HVAC airflow is directed through the evaporator in all modes except heat & vent. If you want the airflow to enter the passenger compartment, you need the pieces and both housing halves installed and sealed.

EDIT: 1999 CHEVROLET BLAZER Parts - GM Parts - Genuine Replacement GM Parts - New GM Parts
yes, but i think that he is talking about 6&7 which you dont have to have. but recommended.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Beginning Member

It is item 6 and 7. I purchased item #6 upper case. I need , or so I thought, item#7 lower case.
So this outter case is just an insulator? I will see if I can repair the bottom piece.
Thank for the info
Mike

Old 05-05-2014, 10:56 AM
LeRoger is on a distinguished road
Unhappy HVAC plastic cover falling apart

Originally Posted by mike 77
It is item 6 and 7. I purchased item #6 upper case. I need , or so I thought, item#7 lower case.
So this outter case is just an insulator? I will see if I can repair the bottom piece.
Thank for the info
Mike
I purchased my S-10 new in94 in Ventura Cal. It has only 67,000 miles on it and is alwayes garaged, but the case continues to fall apart! Someone mentioned "Plastic Industries" for a replacement, but I haven't found one. GM could have done a better job even if it is classified as a "breakable" cover for acess to interior parts! I glue one location, and another falls apart when touched. Maybe Chinese plastic??

ROD

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: HVAC cases deteriorating