2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ignition Switch?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:12 PM
hazelnut28 is on a distinguished road
Question Ignition Switch?????

So i have the good old security light on all the time and every once in awhile the light will flash and not start. After doing the passlock relearn it starts, some times taking an hour plus for the relearn to work.

At first i was told that it was the tumbler from the dealership they wanted $400 to fix and said that it could not even be the issue so i said no thank you. So than i looked at my key and noticed that it was bent slightly.

So bought a tumbler and brought it to a guy to put in. I got the car back and he did not put the tumbler in. Once he opened the panel under the wheel just wires galore. The owner before me must of installed a remote start or something removed the unit and left all the wires there. So he removed everything soldered and taped everything up. After that no security light for about two months.

And nows its back doing what passlock does best not letting me start my car at random. So after looking into the problem further and with the help of this forum. I am pretty sure that it is the ignition switch. With the remote start being wired into all of that and i owned the thing for three years with all of those wires hanging out, not capped, down there and who knows before than.

Also back when all this started i notice i no longer have DRL's and when i turn my fog lights on my low beams go out and the DRL's come on. That freaked me out driving home after work 10pm foggy hit fog lights and practically no lights. Also when i turn my high beams my fog lights come on as well. I don't know if there related but after reading some threads notice the ignition switch does a lot. So i figured to mention it just in case.

So im looking for feedback if i should replace the just the ignition switch, tumbler, or both. Essentially i dont want to buy one and have it be the other and i dont want to put both in and have it only be one. Im in college and dont have a lot of cash floating around. So if you guys could give me some incite after hearing everything would be greatly appreciate it.

I have a 2001 Blazer LT 4.3l 4X4 stock. If you need anymore information feel free to ask. Been trying to figure this out for a while love the blazer drives 100% than the explorer but randomly not starting is kind of killing me.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It likely is the passlock sensor itself which is part of the ignition switch. If your key always turns and turns smooth, I wouldn't mess with the lock cylinder (aka tumbler) itself.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:53 AM

Yeah my key always turns and it is smooth so ignition switch is its. any though on the headlight thing could it just be the headlight switch?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Fix the ignition switch and we'll go from there, if necessary.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:18 AM

Alright will do and i appreciate the help an ill let you know to outcome.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:41 AM
janddcunningham is on a distinguished road

I just fixed the ignition switch on mine today and it fixed everything that was wrong with mine as well as my tranni issues Good luck it is worth replacing

Old 04-24-2011, 10:51 PM

I replaced my ignition switch last night and so far no security light. However my car runs a lot better less engine vibration then before. Removing and installing was pretty simple. I did hit a couple of snags lining up the gears to match the tumbler. My dad started messing with the old switch as soon as it was off so didn't know where it should be set at.

I got nervous when i first started it when it sputtered and shut off. However, after the forth start it sputtered for a bit but then idled a lot then better than before. I assuming sense the new switch had to relearn its timing.

I am still having my headlight issue I note in my first post. Not that big of deal but i would like to use my fog lights with out my brights on. I am thinking that its the headlight switch but if anyone has a past experience or another solution let me know.

I appreciate the help that everybody has given me. With out this forum would of been lost and out almost $800 dollars taking it to a dealership.