2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

im stumped on my 4wd problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Beginning Member
pd95blazer is on a distinguished road
Default im stumped on my 4wd problem

I have a 95 4wd blazer and my problem is my 4wd selctor button is lit saying I'm in 4hi but the front wheels do not spin if I put it 4lo it will jump like its supposed to but still no front wheel drive and it will not not go back into 2hi and I hear the clicking from the tccm and can hear the motor on the tranfer case moving but I'm just at a loss of what I can do so any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Starting Member
Brianator99 is an unknown quantity at this point

The most common issue is the rubber diafram under the battery tray that the rubber breaks. Check that first and tell me what you see. If not rotted out vacum lines leading to the transfercase are another place to look. I have not messed with my 4 wheel drive in a while so I'm a little rusty on the part names but theres a part on the transfer case where all 3 lines go in that goes bad as well. In my case that was bad as well as the diafram

Old 01-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Old 04-15-2011, 04:52 PM
Beginning Member
pd95blazer is on a distinguished road

Ok so I've checked the vac lines and none are dry rotted and the actuator under the battery tray is good I just think there is something wrong with my 4hi cause when I have my truck running and put it into 4lo my front drive shaft will not spin but when I put it into 4hi out will spin and like I mentioned earlier it won't go into 2wd I'll push the button for it and it will blink and click but just go back into 4hi what should I try next....and sorry for not replying untill now working out of town put a damper on looking at at everything

And I've tried replacing the selector switch and same thing

Last edited by swartlkk; 04-15-2011 at 08:06 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:44 PM
TouringMike is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pd95blazer
and can hear the motor on the tranfer case moving but I'm just at a loss of what I can do so any help would be greatly appreciated

I had the same problem.
Took my TCMotor off, and I could turn the mechanism that mounts on the shaft.
You should not be able to do this, as the motor has a brake on the gearing. When I separated the motor case, the top gear on the shaft housing was broke in half.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of good threads on diagnosing the 4wd problems typically found in these trucks. The Tech Article (DIY) section has quite a few of them as well. If the transfer case isn't engaging the front axle when shifted to 4LO, that is a problem. You have the NV233 transfer case. Start looking through those threads and try some of the diagnostic steps letting us know what you have done and what the outcome of the test was.

Touring Mike, If you'd like to follow along in this thread, that is fine, but if your problem doesn't EXACTLY duplicate the problem that pd95blazer is having, discussion of your problem may end up twisting this thread away from pd95blazer's issue for which it was created. If you feel the need to create a new thread, please list which vehicle it is that you are having the trouble with as that is essential information to have.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:50 AM
TouringMike is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Touring Mike, If you'd like to follow along in this thread, that is fine, but if your problem doesn't EXACTLY duplicate the problem that pd95blazer is having, discussion of your problem may end up twisting this thread away from pd95blazer's issue for which it was created. If you feel the need to create a new thread, please list which vehicle it is that you are having the trouble with as that is essential information to have.
My problems were EXACTLY the same as the OPs.
I'd have to say dropping the TCmotor to see if the motor shaft plug indeed does turn freely, is a no cost investigation if everything on the 4wd system appears to be working.

Here's the link to the post where I discussed the problems, plus a battery drain caused by these problems.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...=transfer+case