2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Installed new I ac/delco fuel pump in 99 blazer, still doesn't start on its own

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM
hypertek is on a distinguished road
Default Installed new I ac/delco fuel pump in 99 blazer, still doesn't start on its own

Alright guys, help me out. I am trying to sell the blazer, so I don't want to put any more money into it. I installed a new ac/delco fuel pump in it yesterday, just finished everything up now. and the truck still won't start on its own unless I put some starter fluid down the throttle body. It was doing this even on the old pump.

I assumed it was the pump since my dad had it changed 10 years ago, and i wasn't sure if whoever did it, used ac/delco or not.

WHat else can I look at now? I did change the fuel filter less than 100 miles ago.
Can the spider injection be cleaned out?

Old 02-26-2013, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Start with a leak down test. How to do this can easily be found with a search on here. Chances are there's a bad connection or ground on the filter but the leak down test will help diagnose the issue.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:13 PM

hmm ground on the filter, i can't recall seeing a ground on it.

I will go to harborfreight and pick up a fuel pressure gauge.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

The ground on the pump. There's been a ton of people with your same issue so just spend some time reading and get that leak down test done and you'll be up and running in no time!!

Old 02-26-2013, 06:35 PM

ok I got the pressure gauge, I see about 40psi prime, it holds it for a second or so, than drops down to zero.

Sounds like a leak correct?

When running (using starter fluid) i see about 60psi

Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Yup you got a leak should be 60 and only leak down a little bit to 50-55 after 10 minutes

Old 02-26-2013, 09:25 PM

I will take the manifold off tomorrow.. I suppose it can be either hose underneath in there, or the fuel pressure regulator. Are the spider injectors known to leak? I hope it isn't that because that looks to be more costly than a fuel pressure regulator. I know I won't find out til tomorrow though.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

You should pull the outgoing fuel line off directly at the pump and turn the key to the "on" position and see if you even have gas coming out first and work you way from there. If your only getting 40psi at the port it's not because of something in the manifold it's on the pump side. Also make sure your inline fuel filter is installed the correct way it has an in and out side so make sure it's pointing in the right direction.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:33 PM

ok thank you for your response , you been a great help. I will try to get a readout before and after the fuel filter.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Alright sounds good let us know the results and we will do our best to help!

Quick Reply: Installed new I ac/delco fuel pump in 99 blazer, still doesn't start on its own