2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Issue i been haveing

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 12:08 PM
superdragon is on a distinguished road
Default Issue i been haveing

hi my name is rob,

about 3 weeks ago i started a new job, after work that day my 2000 blazer spit sputterd and stalled. after i got it jumped it drove fine all the way home, about 4-6 miles. 2 blocks from the house it did the same thing(pushed it the rest of the way it wouldnt start) i think it was the gas. well put some fuel in it and some dry gas and it started and drove to the same spot about 2 blocks from the house and spit sputterd and stalled again but this time i got a puff of smoke outa it not sure where it came from. and well after that i get it home and now im not geting any spark.

i have checked the cam sensor, the coil, and the ignition module. any ideas on what else would make it not spark?

anything will help i havnt put much money into it and am curiuos what it could be. i did just replace the battery and the alternator.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:18 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

did you check the dist cap and rotor?

Old 09-10-2012, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
did you check the dist cap and rotor?
Yes I have. Sorry thought I put it up there with the rest

Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Pull the coil wire out of the distributor cap, slide the boot back to expose the terminal, rest the terminal within a half inch of ground, attempt to start the engine while watching for spark. Should be a blue, not orange, spark. Post your results.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:42 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

If it works then all of a sudden doesnt then i want to say its the ignition switch, but it could also be the coil. So i would do what the captain said and if you have no spark first thing to do would be get a new coil and if still no spark then i would lean towards ignition switch. Captain will probably have better thoughts on that tho lol

Old 09-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The ignition switch is a definite possibility, although it's not very common on 2000. 1997 had an extremely high failure rate, and it's the only year that part number was used. If there is no spark from the coil while cranking, the next step is to make sure there is battery voltage on the pink wire when the ignition is on. Then disconnect the electrical connector from the ignition coil and see if the white with black stripe wire has a pulsed ground signal while cranking. Just a matter of checking for voltage on the wires until you find the problem. You can start at the PCM, which tells the module when to fire the coil, or at the coil and work your way back to the PCM, doesn't matter.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:49 AM

well i tried your lil test on the wire from the coil to the dist and got nothing. i started to follow the other wire into the coil and was going through it see if anything was amiss and well i was pulling electrical tape off to get a good look at the wires and the wires and the plug into the the coil snapped off in my hand with the slightest pressure on it so i got to look at the wire and its burnt and rotted i guess u could say. now i got to replace that. i think thats where my problem was.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:50 AM

thanks for the help anyway guys. i will probably be posting here in the future on other things.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:52 AM

Sounds like you found it. Let us know what happens.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:52 AM

oh and capt where is bellville in relation to lansing?

Quick Reply: Issue i been haveing