2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Just Bought Blazer and have a few problems please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:01 PM
whiteg87 is on a distinguished road
Default Just Bought Blazer and have a few problems please HELP!

I recently purchased a 2000 blazer 4wd 4dr and noticed a few problems with it:

1) I just took it to Mieneke for an oil change and they told me they found a quarter sized piece of aluminum in the oil pan. The guy said it could be a lot of different things like a part of a piston and such. But the engine runs almost flawlessly. Has anyone had this happen to them before?

2) My 4wd controls dont quite work. It is almost as though there is a short in it somewhere. It is almost never lit up but just the other day I started my car and the lights were on. I switched it to 4wd lo and hi then quickly switched it back so it would get stuck in 4wd and malfunction again. My mechanic said something about a control module that gets wet and sometimes goes bad. Anyone have experience with this issue?

3)My heater controls are whacko. When I turn the heat on an it warms up it will blow hot for 10 seconds then cold for 10 seconds and repeat like clockwork. When the cold air comes out it is as though something kicks on and kicks up because it gets louder and blows harder. When I turn the switch for the heat off it will stay on and continue to blow. It doesnt matter what temp I set it at it just alternates between hot and cold. Any Suggestions?

Old 02-08-2010, 02:04 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

I can't help with the other issues but it sounds like Mieneke is either exaggerating or lying. You cannot get a dime out of the drain plug hole let alone a quarter size piece of metal. Did they give it to you? If not I would be skeptical. If they gave it to you post a pic for us to look at.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry about item #1 as mentioned.

For 2, the TCCM is located behind the passenger side kick panel below the dash, in front of the door. Remove the kick panel then remove the TCCM and inspect the electrical connections.

For 3, this sounds like the classic blend door actuator failure. Search around a bit and you'll turn up quite a few posts about this.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

Old 02-08-2010, 03:37 PM

I had an urge to have them show it to me but I didnt....

OK that really makes me feel 10X better about my engine. How hard is it to inspect and change the 4wd thing and the heater thing?

Old 02-08-2010, 03:48 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

The TCCM is pretty easy. Just remove the side trim on the floor on the passenger side and yank the kick panel off. You can't miss the TCCM. Take out the bolts and check the connections for corrosion. The kick panel was a PITA to get back on for me, but a little muscle and you'll get it back on. I believe the actuator is right behind the glove box, just take the glove box out and look for a black box with a rod coming out of it I believe(someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Old 02-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The blend door actuator is on top of the HVAC housing behind the glove box. It is not a simple removal procedure, but as I said earlier, a little searching should turn up quite a few threads discussing this problem and the repair procedure.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:23 PM

Cool Thanks