2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Keyless Entry Programming

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 07:51 PM
kellgp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Keyless Entry Programming

My RKE quit working last night, so I replaced the battery but it did not help. I have tried to fix the problem by following reprogramming procedure from this site. After many attempts my fob is still not working. When I get the receiver in programing mode the vehicle does respond by cycling the locks when I hold down the lock/unlock on the fob, which I figure means the my fob is functional? Any ideas?

2004 4 door

Old 05-16-2010, 01:41 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

You can either ask your dealer or a locksmith (lots of luck). Or call a place called Midwest Keyless. They advertise on e-bay and are most helpful about these things. Bought 2 fobs for my 94 for under $15.00 each. They should be able to help you out. I have a 94 manual that tells how to program them but I think the procedure has changed since then.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:43 AM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

when you change the battery the fob has to be synced with the RKE Brain... IIRC hold down lock and unlock for 20sec and it should cycle..

to fully redo the remote you have to jumper two pins on the obd2 plug under the dash, i do not remember the pins off hand but a google search should net results

Old 05-16-2010, 10:32 AM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

I just had to do mine yesterday.

Hold down unlock on the door.
Cycle key on, off, on, off. Doors should lock and unlock.
Hold down unlock and lock on key fob until locks cycle again.

Check the circuit board inside the key fob and make sure nothing has come loose.

My key fob had quit working also. When I opened it up to replace the battery, I noticed that the metal "arm" that goes around the battery had come unsoldered in one spot. So the remote was no good. Luckily, I had two more remotes and another RKE receiver that matched up. One of the remotes was from a GM car, but had the same FCC ID: KOBLEAR1XT. It programmed just fine. I swappped out the buttons in that one for the buttons from my old key fob. The new one had a pic of a car with the trunk open and I swapped in the buttons that said Rear 2X. Now I have a remote on both sets of keys.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:39 AM
kellgp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hold down unlock on the door.
Cycle key on, off, on, off. Doors should lock and unlock.
Hold down unlock and lock on key fob until locks cycle again.

When I do the above I can get it to cycle the locks at the end, but my fob is still not functional when I exit programming mode. It makes me think that something in my fob is working for it to cycle the locks in programming mode, but I get nothing from the fob after programming?

Old 05-16-2010, 10:44 AM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

open the fob up and check the circuit board. Make sure nothing has come loose.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can go into many different autoparts stores as well as the dealerships to have your FOB tested. Most have a little box on the service desk that will light up when you press the buttons on the fob to let you know that it is working properly.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Starting Member
watwf is on a distinguished road

My problem on my keyfob is that the pads that touch the board have worn of the metal conductor. I have used rear window defog line repair paint and have repainted.
If you want to test if it's transmitting simply get an AM portable radio, put it off frequency so it's not picking up a radio station. Then take the remote put near the upper backside of radio and press buttons. You should hear a noticeable sound if it is working.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Starting Member
watwf is on a distinguished road

Programming keyfob for my 99 s10 blazer is pretty straight forward. All I have done is open passenger door. Then press and hold both lock and unlock on keyfob for about 7 - 10 seconds. Vehicle will lock then unlock. Repeat with additional keyfobs.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Beginning Member
EXKid is on a distinguished road

See, threads like this make me happy. Although I got no "lock/unlock" report after the union of said fob and vehicle.

Last edited by EXKid; 03-04-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry Programming