2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Keyless entry retro-fit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 04:45 PM
TDS-MN is on a distinguished road
Default Keyless entry retro-fit?

Hey All,

My '98 Blazer has power locks, but not the remote key fob to lock and unlock the doors. Curious if anyone has ever done a retro-fit? Would like to be able to lock/unlock remotely if possible. It seems to me that it should be something that could be done.

Would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Old 03-07-2012, 05:34 PM
onebadsuv is on a distinguished road

Sure thing - You can add the remote keyless entry system if Your vehicle doesn't have the module installed already - look for a smallish module drivers side in the dash area . Drop the panel and the module has an FCC ID # ending with R for receiver , You need to match that number with a remote having the same code but will end in T for transmitter. If a module is not found in your car just pull one from a same model parts car from the pull-n-pay ... remotes are not hard to find (*bay)

Another option is aftermarket keyless entry systems like codealarm used to offer - I still have some of those from my installer days but no remotes unfortunately - they allow remote window roll-up and other cool options above and beyond OEM offerings.

Edit :
I happened to go to my local pullNpray yard today and there was a '98 Blazer someone already dropped the steering column on so the under-dash wiring was all in the open ... remembering this thread I took a look - there was a factory keyless module there as well as a codealarm box but with GM label/part numbers - I know it was a codealarm because the shock sensor they use is very distinctive . Must have been an upgrade from just key less entry to full alarm . I was going to pull it but got rained out and really have no need for it ...

Last edited by onebadsuv; 03-08-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:31 AM
Beginning Member
vic98blazer is on a distinguished road

i just did this in my 98 blazer ls, you need the reciever under the hush panel and the key fobs, but it is not plug and play if the truck didnt come with that option like mine didnt, i got the bcm out of the truck i got the fobs and reciever from and had to do a passlock relearn, or you could have the dealer or someone with a tech 2 program your old bcm

Old 03-08-2012, 12:21 PM
TDS-MN is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by vic98blazer
i just did this in my 98 blazer ls, you need the reciever under the hush panel and the key fobs, but it is not plug and play if the truck didnt come with that option like mine didnt, i got the bcm out of the truck i got the fobs and reciever from and had to do a passlock relearn, or you could have the dealer or someone with a tech 2 program your old bcm
Interesting. I know that you can get the fobs from various sources for pretty cheap, and it would require the programming to get them to talk to the reciever. Could you explain a little more how the bcm relates to this?
I'd think that as mentioned, salvaging a receiver would be pretty easy too. I do have a small shop up the road that has TECH 2, that has helped me on other projects over the years. But if needed, I'd like to have an idea of what I need to ask for, if there is programming involved.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:14 AM
Beginning Member
vic98blazer is on a distinguished road

the bcm is the body control module, and it controls all the variuos body functions, if the truck didnt come with keyless the bcm is not programmed to work the keyless feature, i read on here they can be programmed with the tech 2 but dont quote me on it because i didnt try it myself. check your rpo codes in the glove box to confirm weather or not or truck is equipped with the rke feature, i dont recall which one it is you may have to search it, something like au0 means it has it au3 is not

Last edited by vic98blazer; 03-09-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Beginning Member
sixvictor1 is on a distinguished road

I found some info on this topic in a thread a few weeks ago... U need to look in the glove compartment at the RPO codes.. if there is a AU0 (zero)... your truck came equipped with the setup from the factory... U can go to a salvage yard and find a truck with it installed and install it on yours.. I've not had the time to go to the salvage yard to do this yet.. so I cant tell you how accurate this info is.. good luck..