2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

keyless fob testing

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:32 PM
dax44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default keyless fob testing

I bought a used second keyless fob for my wife that was supposed to be off an '00 Blazer (same as mine). It looks identical inside & out. I went through the reprogamming steps listed here& elsewhere and they work on my old fob, but not on the one I bought for my wife. I switched batteries, no change. Is there any way to test to see if this fob is a dud before I complain to the guy who sold it to me. He said it worked for him.

Thanks in advance, Doug

Old 12-26-2006, 05:44 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: keyless fob testing

Different keyless entry systems are used on General Motors vehicles. The parts are not interchangeable even though the parts may appear to be similar. Observe the back of the transmitter in order to properly identify the system. On 2000 S/T pickups and utilities, use a transmitter identified with GM/UTA preceding the part number

[ol]With the driver door closed, hold down the power unlock button on the door panel.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The remote control door lock receiver will respond in the following manner in order to indicate that the receiver is in the programming mode:
[ol]Locking the doors
Unlocking the doors [/ol]
Important:All extra transmitters must be programmed at this time. When a new transmitter is programmed, the old transmitters will be deactivated.

Hold down the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter until the remote control door lock receiver will respond in the following manner:
[ol]Locking the doors.
Unlocking the doors. [/ol]
Repeat step7 for each additional transmitter.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming mode. [/ol]

Old 12-26-2006, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the fast reply.

The numbers on the back of the fab are identical - all of them. I went throught the proceedure you outlined many times - same result. If I could test to see if the fob was a dud, then i could sent it back, but it could be something else. Any suggestions?

Doug

Old 12-26-2006, 08:07 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Unless someone else has another idea, the only thing I can think of is going to the dealer and they could use their scanner to program and syncronize both key fobs

Old 12-26-2006, 08:39 PM

I pulled apart complete fob a few minutes ago & the far side of circiut is coated in sticky goo - probably coke or something. I cleaned off completely and tried again - no luck. I think it's a dud. Coke and cicuits don't mix. Thanks for your help. Doug