2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Kyle - Can you answer this for me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 02:26 PM
qualityonsite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kyle - Can you answer this for me?

Kyle, I see you are on right now and you responde to numerous concerns. What is the fuel pressure supposed to be a the 2000 Trailblazer 4.3L. THe issues I am having with mine point to the fuel pump, but I have 55psi right now. SOmetime it takes a long time to crank and start and sometimes it fires right up. It has spit a slew of multiple miss-fire codes at me on a few occasions and the fuel gauge reads erratically. I know this seems like a no-brainer, but I don't want to drop the tank unless I have to. SOme guys tell me 60psi and others tell me 90psi. What do you think?.......Thanks

Old 08-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Kyle - Can you answer this for me?

If you have 55psi, that is enough to start your vehicle. What does the fuel pressure do when you attempt to start the truck (with the gauge installed obviously)? If it dips, then you may have a restriction in the flow to the engine. If you have this condition and a new filter does not solve the problem, then the pump may be weak and on its way out.

Are there any weather conditions that affect the start-ability of the truck? For instance, do you notice that it doesn't like to start when it is raining or otherwise high humidity? If this is true, you may have a spark delivery issue and a full tune up may be in order (cap, rotor, wires, & plugs). While you're at it, remove the ICM and the coil and have them tested at your local Autozone or Advanced Auto.

How does the truck sound while it is cranking? Does it sound slower when it won't start? This could indicate a problem with the battery and/or starter.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-28-2007, 02:40 PM

I'm in Arizona, no weather conditions except real hot, as usual. The pressure does not dip when cranking or running, but on occasion it takes quite sometime to get the vehicle to hit on all cylinders when first startred in the morning, it seems to smooth out when it reaches operating temprature. It always cranks normally, its just a matter of how long and how its going to runs when started. Like today, it fired up first try and has run great since. Starter and battery are strong and good, it is strickly a first time start-up - driveability problem, sometime no problem, other time runs rough and triggers the CEL. Please advise and thank you for your help......Mark

Old 08-28-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When was the last time you did a tune up?

Old 08-28-2007, 02:48 PM

Right around 80K, right now it has 113K.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Have you gone through the basics; MAF & EGR cleaning? A sticking EGR valve could cause starting issues if it is allowing even a small amount of unmetered spent exhaust gases into the intake.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:01 PM

I did clean the MAF today after it started and ran fine. I have not touched the EGR though.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Just so you are prepared, you need a new gasket whenever pulling off your EGR valve. There is an updated gasket that has an integrated screen to keep large debris from getting to the EGR valve and holding it open.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:11 PM

Great, Thanks for the help Kyle, I will keep you posted.