2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Leaf Spring Brand suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 12:39 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default Leaf Spring Brand suggestions

Hi all,

I've been shopping around for replacement leaf springs for my 99 Blazer. The OEM ones for my suspension, ZW7, are no longer available with the replacements being the equivalent of the ones used for the Z85 and Z83 suspensions.

It is these latter ones I'll be getting.

However, I've come across several brands for new replacement leaf springs and before I plunk down many hundreds of dollars on new springs, I thought I'd ask for any advice for brands of leaf springs that people thought were good and those I might want to avoid.

Here is a list of the vendors/manufacturers I've come across so far:
  • Dayton
  • Husky
  • Dorman
  • Triangle Suspension Systems
  • General Spring
  • ATS (Auto and Truck Springs)
  • Stengel Brothers
  • Michigan Truck Spring
  • Spring Works
  • SD Truck Springs
  • Eaton Springs (added after original post)

Last edited by christine_208; 02-15-2023 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-15-2023, 06:43 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Hi Christine,
Do you have a shop near you that can re-arch the springs instead of replacing them?
I was going to do this, just never did.

Old 02-15-2023, 10:46 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I ordered new rear springs for my Super Duty from General Spring and I was happy with the quality, the service, and the price. I don't remember what brand they were (they carry a few different ones), but I seem to remember they were made in Mexico(?). Unfortunately, even "American" brands seem like they're usually manufactured in a different country.

I would avoid Dorman whenever possible and, even though you didn't mention them, I haven't been super impressed with my Pro-Comp leaf springs, either.

Old 02-15-2023, 01:28 PM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough

I too would avoid Dorman at any cost, even if that meant leaving the old springs on. ATS is located near me and I and quite a few others that I know have gone to them for springs on our pickup trucks. If they're as knowledgeable on Blazers are they are on our Ford pickups, I'd highly recommend them. They can customize any spring to accommodate your vehicle setup.

Old 02-15-2023, 06:00 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Hi Christine,
Do you have a shop near you that can re-arch the springs instead of replacing them?
I was going to do this, just never did.
The closest shop is 90 miles away. For me, this is a day-trip which is not out of the question since I could visit some friends there. The cost would be more expensive than replacements, although I'm now considering it.

Old 02-15-2023, 06:11 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tom A
I ordered new rear springs for my Super Duty from General Spring and I was happy with the quality, the service, and the price. I don't remember what brand they were (they carry a few different ones), but I seem to remember they were made in Mexico(?). Unfortunately, even "American" brands seem like they're usually manufactured in a different country.

I would avoid Dorman whenever possible and, even though you didn't mention them, I haven't been super impressed with my Pro-Comp leaf springs, either.
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I too would avoid Dorman at any cost, even if that meant leaving the old springs on. ATS is located near me and I and quite a few others that I know have gone to them for springs on our pickup trucks. If they're as knowledgeable on Blazers are they are on our Ford pickups, I'd highly recommend them. They can customize any spring to accommodate your vehicle setup.
Thanks guys. This is super helpful. Of the springs, the Dorman ones are the most expensive too. That is good to know about ATS doing custom work too.

When I inquired of a "local", i.e., only 90 miles away shop in Spokane, they said they got their springs from Dayton although they also do other work like re-arching which I'm now considering. An issue with the re-arching is that the cost is as much as the Dormans! What has got me stuck is if some of the alternates would work or not, i.e., if they are a close-enough fit.

I sent in a quote request into Eaton Springs. On the surface, they seem like a quality and knowledgeable outfit. Funny thing though is that they didn't list the S10 Blazers in their online catalog although they listed the S10 pickups.

The goofy thing is that I have the ZW7 suspension with the nivomat self-leveling shocks. I had been under the impression that I had to stick with the same springs with those as I described in my initial post. I recently replaced the shocks which are working well. Also, they were not cheap so I'd like to keep them.

I'm probably overthinking this. It is what I do when it is winter/snowy and I can't afford to take the truck out of use to put in my garage and tinker on it. LOL

Nivomat Shocks: https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/niv...control-units/

Old 02-18-2023, 10:58 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Hey Christine,
Is there a list somewhere of the OEM suspensions codes? After reading this thread, now I am wondering the details are on my '02.
I did a search and found an old posting of mine where I was thinking of replacing the rear leafs as they seemed to be weak...and they have not got any better since...LOL...

Thanks

Old 02-18-2023, 11:11 AM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christine_208
Hi all,

I've been shopping around for replacement leaf springs for my 99 Blazer. The OEM ones for my suspension, ZW7, are no longer available with the replacements being the equivalent of the ones used for the Z85 and Z83 suspensions.

It is these latter ones I'll be getting.

However, I've come across several brands for new replacement leaf springs and before I plunk down many hundreds of dollars on new springs, I thought I'd ask for any advice for brands of leaf springs that people thought were good and those I might want to avoid.

Here is a list of the vendors/manufacturers I've come across so far:
  • Dayton
  • Husky
  • Dorman
  • Triangle Suspension Systems
  • General Spring
  • ATS (Auto and Truck Springs)
  • Stengel Brothers
  • Michigan Truck Spring
  • Spring Works
  • SD Truck Springs
  • Eaton Springs (added after original post)
Most of those companies listed there are probably all selling the same springs, most of them are not mfgs. I do believe that my last set had Dayton tags on them and I think they make them. One of them said Made in USA and the other said Made in Mexico. I didn't think much of that idea but I used them and they seem to be acting the same.

Old 02-18-2023, 01:44 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Most of those companies listed there are probably all selling the same springs, most of them are not mfgs. I do believe that my last set had Dayton tags on them and I think they make them. One of them said Made in USA and the other said Made in Mexico. I didn't think much of that idea but I used them and they seem to be acting the same.
Yeah, I think you are correct but I couldn't be sure. Dayton shows up with several of these.

Old 02-18-2023, 01:49 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by LannyL81
Hey Christine,
Is there a list somewhere of the OEM suspensions codes? After reading this thread, now I am wondering the details are on my '02.
I did a search and found an old posting of mine where I was thinking of replacing the rear leafs as they seemed to be weak...and they have not got any better since...LOL...

Thanks
Funny you should ask!

Between consulting a scanned copy of a 1999 buyer's guide, cross referencing the part numbers at GMPartsGiant.com, and consulting the Spring Research Institute catalogs and the Dayton Springs Catalog, I came up with the attached attempt at a cross reference. What I was not able to do was figure out which of the RPO codes for the various torsion bars went with which springs except for the ZW7 which is what I have. I'd need the VIN of a blazer with each of the other suspension codes to do the cross-reference. (Any volunteers?)

And yes, doing all this is perhaps a bit much, but what else is there to do on a snowy winter night? LOL

Attached Files

Quick Reply: Leaf Spring Brand suggestions